100% CPU usage while playing

My CPU skyrockets to 100% usage while playing. tried Task Manager Shows CPU Usage at 100% - #4 by StandorTheGreat and still the same.

Specs:

• i5-8600k
  • 8gb GTX 1080 armor oc
  • 16gb RAM

I just upgraded off my 8600k which I’d had delidded, liquid metal, and an extensive liquid cooler on to pull off a 5.3ghz all core clock… which this game didnt care one bit about.

Sadly, 6 cores will hit 100% in this game, even when running a non-latest GPU (for anybody wondering, traditionally if you peaked your GPU, your CPU had less to do because it had more waiting).

I was watching my gf play on the 9900k system I’d built her, and it was just buttery fluid. We both have 3090’s, so I monitored CPU usage, and sure enough most of the time it was pinned @ 100%. I was able to close every app I could to squeeze every last bit (as the game was really using more like 85% on average) which helped, but there’s really no getting around the core count dependency that this game loves.

I just upgraded to a 5900x and its infinitely smoother. You could clock 6 cores to 10ghz and I suspect this game would still favor 8 cores at 4.5ghz. Also have to remember the 8600k isnt hyperthreaded, so a HT 8 core = looks like 16 cpus to the system. 6 is actually anemic by modern standards, and it happened fast, because it wasnt that long ago we were all saying 4 is plenty because games dont multi-thread well.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I’ll guess I’ll have to get an upgrade then.

I am not sure if this is an issue/bug since 1.1

I have seen a few posts about this and I am having the same issue too. I am running the following:

Ryzen 5 1600 6 core
RTX 2070 Super
32GB Memory

Other games don’t have an issue at all, I just tested with Forza Horizon 5 and I don’t get the same issue.

yea i didnt have 100% cpu in other games, either. at least not dead locked all of the time. but 6 cores, no matter their speed, really dont seem to be enough for this particular game’s engine.

the game has a brutal multithreading problem. more cores more cpu usage and less fps (at least above 12 threads)

cap your fps at 60 to leave some headroom

Thank you for sharing this information. I will take this hoping it may help other players that may be experiencing similar situations.

There’s your answer.
Recommended processor is Intel® Core™ i7-2600K / AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400

You might also try to lower all your display/graphic settings to low and see if the problem persists.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.