Animation cancelling and Macros used in combat. Exploit or just part of the game?

****** Please make sure you fill out the following information before submitting a report ******

Don’t forget to check the Known Issues List to see if your issue is currently being worked on by the dev team.
We also have existing workaround for some issues that you can find here:

• What is your character name in New World: Bad Eyes
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: Ptolemais
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: I played a ton of OP Rush yesterday. Its fun, but its being ruined by exploits, and not just the crouch healing spam. By taking advantage of life staff, fire staff, and hatchet animation cancellations, a player can “machine-gun fire” a staff or spam light attack their hatchet.
  • Is this a bug or an exploit: That’s my question. Is this a bug or an exploit? Or is this intentionally supposed to be in the game? It’ll only encourage the use of macros and everybody using the few weapons that can do it.
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: Made OP Rush unenjoyable and nearly unplayable.
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: Yes
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced: New World 2021 10 27 21 08 00 01 - YouTube
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: Load into any OP Rush, there’s always at least 1 or 2 people doing it.

The community seems somewhat split on the issue of animation cancelling. There are plenty of different types that improve movement or DPS output. In my opinion, some are harmless, and yet others are game-breaking.

As I stated in the description above, the use of animation cancelling on staffs, hatchets, and other weapons that allow you to attack at 2x-3x the intended speed seems illogical. I know macros are not necessary for this, but they make it easier, and it will encourage people to use them. Additionally, if these types of combat animation cancelling are allowed, it’s fair to say that eventually half the servers are going to be running the same few select weapons that can use it. There wouldn’t be any other way to compete, specifically in PvP, with normal use of weapons. The amount of DPS you can achieve is just too high.

What I want out of this post is just a single answer from a Developer. Is the combat animation cancelling allowed and encouraged? I’m not looking for a fix for it, or that you’re “looking into it.” I just haven’t seen any representatives from New World say “Yes, you can do this,” or “No, this is an exploit.”

So, is this an exploit? Or is it just part of the game?

Once again, I’m only referring to the use of it in combat as I have described, not ALL animation cancelling present in the game.

Thanks

2 Likes

Right now all of the animation cancels work by using a weapon swap to clip the previous animation one way or the other.
All they need to fix all of these is to put an animation queue/timer on the weapon swap. It almost feels like someone forgot to set that variable, and it’s defaulted to 0. All other animations wait until the the previous animation is finished, while weapon swapping is the only one that doesn’t do that.
There is absolutely no reason why a weapon swap shouldn’t have an animation queue/timer.

2 Likes

Doesn’t require macros that is a misconception. It does require messing around with your keybinds and making things easy to spam. None the less, hope they patch it out otherwise of course people will use it.

1 Like

I agree with trying to figure out a way to disable the mechanic used to exploit your weapon fire rate, and if they can do that without putting a timer on weapon swaps I’d prefer that.

My reason for saying that is when you’re in the middle of a fight, PvP or PvE, one of the most frustrating things is trying to swap to a different weapon and it feeling like it’s taking FOREVER or it’s just not swapping after trying 3 or 4 spam clicks.

But I’d rather have the timer than the exploit people are currently using

1 Like

Yeah I was gonna comment afterwards stating I realize macros aren’t necessarily required for it, just makes it easier and people tend to be lazy.

I also hope it gets fixed either way!

First of all, there are things intended by designers and developers, and things that are not. No game developer ever sits there and says to themselves “mmm, how should I make animation cancelling a thing”.

Second, - the reason why sometimes the weapon swap takes forever is because you are in the middle of a stun, knockdown or a stagger. In that case no animations should work anyways. If you are stunned, you shouldn’t be able to swap a weapon. The “UI swaps but weapon doesn’t” bug also happens because you are in-between 2 stuns, and UI thinks you managed to swap, while the weapon didn’t actually swap. This bug would also be fixed if weapon swap had an actual animation timer.

Finally, Any animation cancelling is BUG EXPLOITING not skill.
If you roll cancel - you are exploiting a bug. If you got quick at the “Light attack → area skill queue → Weapon Swap → light attack”, it’s BUG EXPLOITING, even if it does take a bit of practice. Even if you don’t use macros, you are still exploiting a bug in the game engine.

1 Like

Not all animation cancelling is a bug or an exploit. Just about every game has them, and many are left in the game and intended.

With that said, there are some that are not intentional. Such as the one described originally. If for them to fix the light attack spamming they are required to remove all animation cancelling - such as the dodge roll - that’s fine with me.

But I definitely don’t think weapon swaps should be given a timer. That will make the combat extremely frustrating, slow, and could end up killing the game entirely.

“It’s not a bug, it’s a feature”
mhmm…

That being said, it’s true that developers sometimes leave bugs intentionally because players turn them into features. In the end it’s still a bug that’s exploited by players. Community just turns a blind eye to it and devs don’t fix it because it’s easier to pronounce it a feature instead of spending dev and tester time to actually fix it.
And of course if the animation cancel has been in the game for long enough, players just adapt and have to make it part of the toolkit. Doesn’t change that from the start it’s a game engine bug that’s being exploited. Just happens to be exploited by everyone, which suddenly makes it ‘ok’.

1 Like

Looks like you didn’t play League of Legends.

This is not league of legends. If League of Legends is a buggy mess where people exploit the graphics engine, then that’s their problem.
I see this all the time in games. People pretend that exploiting bugs in the game engine is skill, and devs embracing it.
Perfect example of it is Quake 3 with its ridiculous strafe jump acceleration. Devs eventually admitted that it’s a bug that the community likes, so they “left it in”. Except the same bug still exists in other games that run on the Quake engine like Star Wars: Jedi Academy, where this bug is not meant to be.
People learned to abuse a glitch in the system, and then everyone had to learn how to exploit it in order to stay competitive. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s a bug that everyone is exploiting.

1 Like

League isn’t a buggy mess, wtf are you on about? It’s actually best game in industry for a reason and I’m also pretty sure they’re gonna make best MMO as well because there’s no chance this clownery will happen to them.

Also, animation cancel is something that requires skill and has nothing to do with “bugs”.

I agree, it can take skill and make the game more enjoyable. But some animation cancels aren’t intended for New World, and they do encourage the use of macros due to people being lazy. I believe they’ll be taking out the ones that affect your overall attack speed, but leave non game-breaking ones in-tact. That’s mostly my opinion though.

Man never played Eso…

In ESO, ZeniMax decided to leave the instant spell animation cancelling via light attacks, and rebalanced the way skills work.
It’s a case where a developer decided to embrace the bug instead of fixing it, and then went the extra mile - they rebalanced how combat rotations work. By doing that, they in fact turned it into a feature.
I wouldn’t mind if Amazon came out and said - yes it’s a feature now, and we will re-balance combat around it. As it stands though, they aren’t doing much to address any of the animation cancels.

1 Like

Not adressing it is An Overstatement lol. Still no answer whether it is allowed or not…

If they say it’s not allowed so be it. Then it’s against the rules but they haven’t said anything about it… That’s what anoys me…
Just Tell us whether it’s ok to use or not.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.