Bans are apparently happening - thanks AGS!

Well, I hit the NW reddit this morning as I’m having my morning triple shot of espresso and the first thing I see is a post from 1/2 hour ago in which a duper outs himself, confesses, and notes that he’s been banned as of this morning.

AGS team, thank you. Be ruthless, please. Also please close the gaps these cheaters somehow keep finding, of course…but thank you.

50 Likes

I hope they find every one of them

25 Likes

You and I both - and I hope a) the bans are for life and b) that the Steam Share thing gets fixed so no one can Family Share their way around bans.

18 Likes

Permaban their accounts. Force them to rebuy. Hardware ban them if they cheat again.

16 Likes

I think they should name every single one of them on the forum front page

20 Likes

Folks - the engine has very real serialization contexts for items and they can easily track this. The fact that you’re already seeing bans just proves that it’s happening. Now we can put this to bed and stop worrying about it.

Give AGS some credit here, they’re handling this well.

18 Likes

They’ll just be back through steam family share, bans mean nothing as long as that feature is enabled. AGS should do something about that.

3 Likes

Yes, as I noted in a reply:

If it’s still that way then that’s a gaping hole that needs to be closed. Steam support says it’s already supposed to be that way (bans shutting down Share) but more than a few anecdotal reports say otherwise.

However, maybe some good news…

2 Likes

Posters on Reddit say all their associated accounts were banned. They’ve probably fixed that flaw by now.

5 Likes

Now that’s some more good news.

4 Likes

Bravo AGS

5 Likes

Lets gooooooooooooooo

Also:

6 Likes

They should also put their region and server so we are all aware of it.

4 Likes

I am the first one to call out things I dont like and are broken, but I feel they did a good job in finding and banning the cheaters.

9 Likes

Banning cheaters is step one and I’m very happy with the focus this is getting by the team.

Fixing the downstream impacts the cheaters introduced needs to be addressed to, and apparently their economy team is looking into it. I don’t envy them at all as I don’t see any easy solutions. No matter what they do (or don’t do), ppl are going to be pissed :frowning:

5 Likes

Well, I think addressing the impacts is going to hinge on their transaction logging verbosity and the ability to actually go back to the root dupe and then nuke everything forward that springs from it.

Yes, undeniably, that’s going to impact some players (who acted in good faith) who bought gear built from a foundation of duped gold/items and some players who sold things bought with duped gold. Unfortunately, that’s going to be unavoidable because pulling the duped currency from the game has to happen.

4 Likes

its a good step in the right direction. it shows that they are working on it. fix the source. and follow the path. than eventually . its gone. thanks AGS keep doing your work . loving it so far :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree completely. If they have full transaction history, that is the only fair thing to do. Just reimburse ppl who bought duped stuff with what they paid and all is good.

If they do not have deep enough logging yet, I am guessing that will be rectified shortly. But it will also mean one hell of a mess to try and sort through.

3 Likes

It appears they are only banning the dupers and not who they distributed the wealth to. Is the wealth duped Coin and Items being removed from the game? How is it being tracked and removed?

Truly a disheartening situation, one Developers normal lack of/ terrible communication will not be acceptable.

AGS Developers need to clarify this situation, and make a clear full and detailed explanation to its community

1 Like

The question becomes how do you decide who gets banned beyond the dupers? If they bought an item from me on the market place do I get banned? Do I lose the gold and the item?