Bans are apparently happening - thanks AGS!

Please read the edit to my post, I wasn’t quick enough to post it before your reply.

I’ve read the steam support pages, they all say “VAC ban OR Game ban” Maybe that’s just steam’s writers putting the “or Game ban” everywhere they put VAC ban because they think enough people wouldn’t understand the term “VAC ban”, I don’t know, but it reads like two different things.

Bottom line, and where I’m pretty comfortable we’re in agreement: Bans should kill Family Share capabilities immediately - regardless of the mechanics used to get to that place.

1 Like

It’s because they are different things. A VAC Ban is issued when you run a program considered as a cheat or any software blacklisted by VAC. It’s automated and issued by VAC itself. The Game Ban is issued by the game developers. From the Steamworks page:

Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) is an automated system designed to detect cheats installed on users’ computers. If a user connects to a VAC-Secured server from a computer with identifiable cheats installed, the VAC system will ban the user from playing that game on VAC-Secured servers in the future.

Game Bans allow you to utilize Valve’s banning infrastructure rather than implement your own ban tracking system. When you ban a player using the ICheatReportingService/RequestPlayerGameBan Web API, the ban will be publicly visible on that person’s Steam profile.

And therefore AGS would have no need to use VAC at all, they could simply issue Game bans. There’s no way that’s technically challenging, NW and Steam already have API interaction.

as someone allready said:

Seems like they are and familyshare is here to stay.

1 Like

And therefore AGS would have no need to use VAC at all, they could simply issue Game bans. There’s no way that’s technically challenging, NW and Steam already have API interaction.

This is tricky, because the Steamworks page says you must enable VAC support for your game to issue Game Bans, but the Steamworks Web API documentation for the endpoint to apply a game ban doesn’t mention this. Maybe it’s possible to issue a game ban without enabling VAC for New World.

Also, yeah, it’s not technically challenging, but Amazon saying it would ask Valve for help is kinda weird, not unusual, but it’s so weird because everything is thoroughly documented and if they can’t understand the docs, the problem is a little bit bigger than expected.

And even if this previous statement is not true, it’s shocking how these features weren’t considered before. They are only considering those features now because exploiting and botting is so obnoxious. Otherwise I’m pretty sure it would be lowest priority, but they could’ve avoided this shitshow if they enabled it ASAP.

1 Like

Fairly sure its only a 24 or 48 hour ban with no inventory or gold deletion

No arguments here at all. Frankly, they could just completely disable Family Share entirely and avoid all this.

1 Like

I have already submitted a refund request through Steam because there are no limitations to family shared accounts. I want my money back because it’s totally possible to play the game without paying.

1 Like

Too bad AGS doesn’t actually give heavy handed bans to popular streamers who exploit, macro and break the rules of their game. Only plebs.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s really sad the favoritism shown. Dude exploits on stream and is a contributor for the game, then brags how he is untouchable, and as of right now 24hours later back streaming with the same character.

1 Like

Funny enough, after my post earlier today, there is now a blacklist on the word “voidbent” in any chat in-game.

The dupers were banned for 24 hours or the people using weapon exploits? I want duper out for ever, weapon stuff is a bit different.

No one using a hatchet or Gaxe was banned.

As far a I know, only a streamer was suspended for using a macro.

Dupers, no idea. Some have posted 24 hour screenshots while bragging. Others are in tears over a permanent ban.

Couldn;t tell you what suits their mood and qualifies a person for perma vs temp

“We have permanently banned players who exploited the Coin/Item dupe issue.” - Luxendra

Just stating what has been posted on reddit. Maybe they will post their player name and they can resolve their oversight :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Xinayder - good news! This is a big step in fighting ban circumventions:

"Hi everyone,

Due to the increase of bots, gold sellers, and ban evaders, we decided to disable family sharing Today 10:00 AM (in your local timezone).

This decision was not taken lightly and for players who utilize family sharing for a valid reason, we will update this post with instructions for assistance.

Thank you for your understanding."

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.