Best PVP game you've ever played?

planetside 1

3 Likes

Anarchy Online one of the most complex games with huge numbers PVP (i’d dare to say best MMO) , where PVP Incentives were done right.

4 Likes

Easy, Dark Age of Camelot, by a landslide!!!

Dem Hibbies, dey be wrong!

5 Likes

yeah, each realm felt like you had something to fight for, i hated albion —old midgardian player here lol… but the cute little enchanters from hib spamming there aoe spells dropping 25-50 people in 20 seconds ahhaha…

3 Likes

Fortnite

DAOC by far, PvP for everyone, zergs, keep battles, 8 man groups, soloers and stealth wars.

7 Likes

I liked a lot about DAoC, specifically the nuances-- Skalds didn’t need instruments like other musicians, the one faction had magic in almost every class while the other had classes who almost always had martial equipment and skill options. These tiny differences felt like they were constantly in play. It showed an immense level of care for the game feel. DAoC had/has a lot to love, too, even if I don’t like their physical classes-- did enjoy me some Friar anyway. No wonder I jumped to Warrior Priest in WAR.

I think they should deep dive games like WAR, DAoC and M59 to get pointers for how a successful PVP world would look. NW has so much good foundation to build on.

Shout out to ArcheAge players. Sorry to hear Kakao is gonna kack your game. :frowning:

5 Likes

No one is going to mention Unreal Tournament?
Jeeezuz I’m old…
Also, CS 1.6 was a complete timestealer (in a good way).

6 Likes

Ultima Online. Close the thread.

6 Likes

Conquer Online 1.0-2.0 (2004-2007). There will never be another game with such a perfect pvp and pk rules.

3 Likes

I thought Conquer was a figment of my imagination, damn.

Surprised to see someone advocate so strongly for it, I only barely remember its existence.

2 Likes

DAoC easily for me. Mordred was a lot of fun for so many years.

6 Likes

There’s so many things that come into play for me when I judge whether I like a pvp game or not.

It’s like, there’s a number of boxes that need to be ticked, and even if a game is outsanding in one sense, not ticking the other boxes significantly downgrades my judgement.

So if DAoC might tick some boxes, like for you, the number of players, because the game is that old, the graphics would affect my immersion today, or the combat mechanics might, in a similar way, stop me from enjoying myself even though having 3 realms and 350 players in one spot is really cool.

As such, I’m going to reply with regards to only to one specific feature of pvp, the combat mechanics.

And for the “best combat mechanics” category award, I’m nominating Age of Wulin.

In AoW, the combat was exciting, (you could fly or almost), it was impactful (you could almost feel each punch land) but most of all, it was fluid. I mean it was smooth as hell.

It was very skill based, to the point that in Asia, duel tournaments were held on television rewarding winners with huge prizes.

It was creative, because you could pick different “schools” of combat, and that resonated with IRL, at least for kung fu movies, I mean basically, when I played that game, I felt like I was in a Kung Fu movie, you know?

Anyway, specifically in terms of mechanics, because of its fluidity, smoothness, creativity, impactfullness and focus on player skill, it was by far the best PvP game I ever (edit) playerd** (lol not made).

I was eagerly awaiting a sequel to that game, but it got cancelled :confused:

2 Likes

Absoutely ultima online. %100 strategy and you have to know whats gonna be in couple of seconds or you gonna die, always. Like stuck a house with little golem ^^ or maybe like just shouldnt enter all of portals which u see … ( In sanet+In sanet+In Flam … fck off )

3 Likes

I have never stoped to play since december 2003, i play it even today on private servers who keept the game classic.

1 Like

This, right here - this.

Hiply Rustic/Irrv Ruatha - GM, Wolves of Valinor, Percival

4 Likes

For me it was Everquest. Mostly from a nostalgia and sentimental feeling more than it really being great since it was my first introduction to mmorpg’s. My 1st bit of pvp experienced there and befriending that guy rather than any trash talking. Nor have i seen a game give the bard class as much detail as EQ did. Love reading through everybody’s answers here, so keep them coming please.

1 Like

I’ve been reading other people’s comments in this thread and I noticed something, or rather, I thought to myself “all these games are really old” lol

1 Like

That’s because most of them are, and they were distinct because they tried things that most players nowadays would puke over. The kind of building/leveling that went on in games like Ultima Online and Meridian 59 would set players nowadays to apoplexy. What do you mean, I build my skills up point by point and have to suss out my build myself? I want predetermined drop-down talent trees!!!

Back when you had to sell your games on the back of their box or pray you got spots on media platforms-- which was incredibly, incredibly rare-- devs were trying all sorts of tactics to enliven their games.

4 Likes

Yep DAOC had it right, 3 factions AND the PvP all took place in the frontier zones so the PvE and PvP NEVER mixed. Too bad New World didn’t learn from DAOCs example and make the fighting occur in certain zones only (that way you are always flagged in those zones once you enter).

8 Likes