Cant bind space button

• What is your character name in New World: MrMono
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: Nysa
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: Cant bind space button to jump
  • Is this a bug or an exploit: Bug
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay:
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: No
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced:
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:
  • When did this happen? I was not able to jump anymore when downtime was announced. After patch I checked why I cant still jump.

Due to the introduction of Musical Instruments where Space is a note, Space is no longer available as a keybind. It is temporary and will be available as a keybind in a future update.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

4 Likes

So I guess this is a feature from now on.

Space was default jump right?
Try restoring keybinds to default.
I haven’t heard nearly enough complaining, surely the 90% of the pop that has been jumping with spacebar are still doing it??

I really hope this will be fixed. I would rather not play instruments than lose space as my skill button.

1 Like

LOL What? Are you serious? You took away the ability to change some key bindings?

Some developer decided that players didn’t need to be able to re-map THE SPACE BAR? The most prominent key on the keyboard? And then the other members of the team (whom we think have actually played video games on PCs with keyboards before) just… agreed. They all just said: yeah, there’s no problem with that.

And none of them thought about the fact that, up until now, players have been able to remap the spacebar without issue - and those people may want to change it again at some point.

And let’s not forget the issue reported here - hey, maybe something will go wrong and a key binding will get lost. Maybe we should allow for players to take a simple action to fix this on their own.

How can your team, with such obvious talent, spend thousands of hours designing, developing, implementing, and testing this massive game system, and still decide that being able to re-map keys in different game modes is too much effort?

I can understand unexpected bugs and server stability issues popping up, but making a design decision like this? What about people with accessibility issues? How would you expect them to manage their gameplay with this change?

Is this also the case for W, A, S, and D keys, since they are also used for music? The mouse buttons?

Good Lord, WTF people.

2 Likes

This is a terrible choice. Let people who want that key for music, keep it there, and those who need it for core gameplay, be able to re-keybind space bar as needed.

Honestly from an accessibility standpoint, it’s unacceptable to lock out the LARGEST and easiest key to press on the keyboard for a side activity.

1 Like

No, it’s not the default, it was just a common remap.

I have confirmed this is temporary and Space will be available again for rebind in a future update. While you will not be able to rebind it as another key when using Musical Instruments, it will be available for rebinding outside of Musical Instruments in a future update.

3 Likes

I have space binded for my dodge and it stayed like that patch and i can still use musical instruments just fine AND dodge correctly so what’s the point of it being restricted like this?

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I shall try to be patient.

Is there a reason for the huge reluctance to make music playable for left handers?

1 Like

@Aenwyn Can we please get clarification on why AGS is not allowing us to keybind the notes to different keys?

This is hands down the most common request I see.

It’s also achievable with the steam controller configuration to play the instrument via a controller with a layout of our preference. It seems odd to not allow PC keyboard users to have the same ease of access to the game mode.

1 Like

@Aenwyn In a “future update?” lol

i hope its soon, cause as another player who uses dodge on space bar, its unbearable… been using space bar as dodge since beta and trying it today without it makes me feel like a lvl 10 against lvl 60’s players/elite mobs. if i go pvp in OPR, open world and im not even gonna get started for War Roster… its gonna affect my performance hence my company impression of myself. i rather not play in war or not play NW till its fixed if thats the case.

1 Like

just came back to the game, had space bar on dodge and it was working just fine. reset my keybinds to redo some of them and found out space wasnt default to dodge (god knows why…) and now im considering uninstalling tbh. why shouldnt i be able to bind my keys the way i want especially since IT WAS WORKING? “future update” could be a year from now…

2 Likes