Current State of the Game after 600+ hours

Coming from someone who has 650+ hours on this game since launch, I feel like I have a good understanding of the current state of the game as well as PvP/PvE. (Before anyone comments “go outside” “touch grass” I literally don’t care what you have to say because this wasn’t targeted at you anyways. You probably have like 20 hours on the game, but I literally have nothing else to do as I am an online college student)

First I wanna talk about the content of this game, I understand that games like this take time to develop and take time for new content to come out. The amount of content in the end game is pretty lackluster to me but I understand that Rome wasn’t built in a day. It takes time, as for the content we have, End Game WM grind, OPR, Wars, Invasions etc. I personally think there isn’t enough to do (which I think everyone would agree with me on). As someone who has pushed almost 600 WM GS, roughly around 590ish, once I hit 600 there will be pretty much nothing for me to do, except the occasional war, or invasion. I think end game content needs to be added very soon for more players to come back and continue to play, but like I said, I understand it takes time.

PvP Flag Changes

I think the changes that grant you extra luck, and harvesting luck while PvP flagged was a good step in the right direction, but I think that you shouldn’t necessarily reward people for flagging, you should reward people for going for and getting PvP kills. Sometimes other faction colors will just run past each other and not kill each other regardless of being PvP flagged only because they would rather have the luck without having to fight instead of fighting. Rewarding people for actually fighting instead of just being flagged would promote more open world PvP than there is now. (which at least on my server there is very very little.) This ties into my next part of the post right below this.

Next, I wanna take a look at the outer 3 outpost zones (specifically the open world dungeons) and what can be done to make it a better experience for players in general. I have a couple ideas of what could be changed to make them easier for players to get better loot as well as more drops. The current meta for efficiently running these with the best chance of getting the best loot is to zerg them flagged with players in your faction.

The problem I see with these areas not being PVP flagged is that other factions can come in and just literally grief you just by them being there and tagging mobs. Mob drop rates are lowered with the amount of people who hit them and you can tell very quickly that this is true if you run with 2 groups opposed to 3-4 groups.

Not only drops, they are also affecting the people who go out of their way to go flagged to these areas to farm legendary materials with that extra 30% luck. Non flagged players can just run around unflagged and take valuable material, wasting that 30% luck from a player who is flagged.

(Also, If someone had a similar idea to me, I’m sorry if you posted this before but I haven’t read many posts on here so I might have something similar to you.)

This is the first Idea that I came up with.

I think that the outpost regions of the map that are not claimable being made PVP exclusive zones where you are PvP flagged no matter what would be a great addition to the game, and would promote more open world PvP. Once you leave the outpost you will always be flagged for anybody to kill you, especially after the more recent changes to the PVP flag harvesting luck and normal luck.

This is the second idea that I came up with.

Making these WM areas like Mines and Myrk instanced zones where you can use some mats (to craft an orb) or a cooldown that you and your 4 other people can run like a mini dungeon. This would make getting drops more consistent as well as allowing you to not be griefed by other factions that are not PvP flagged.

This is the last idea that I came up with

Making the WM areas like Mines and Myrk PvP exclusive zones. Instead of making the whole area PvP only, only open world dungeons would be PvP, they would pop up a message saying you are entering a PvP area and would ask you, would you like to proceed anytime you walked into the starting area of one. This way you can still have non flagged people doing what they like outside of these zones without harming the others players who take the extra risk to be flagged to these areas.

Weapon Changes/Balances

I will preface my argument when it comes to weapon balancing by saying this, I personally think the best way to balance a game like this is to not nerf weapons for being too strong, but buff other weapons to be on the same level as the stronger ones, and then gradually tweak them over time. This will result in allowing other classes to feel like they are doing more than before, without making the stronger class feel like it’s nonexistent.

With the most recent changes to Ice Gauntlet and Fire Staff in New World Monthly November update. It has thrown this game into a run melee or you lose meta, which I don’t know if it’s just me but being constantly stun locked or cc’d by hammer/great axe combo isn’t very fun or enjoyable.

One of the most effective counters to melee before the November update was playing mage, a class with only 2 weapons and now 3 with void gauntlet. The changes to both of the 2 strongest weapons for an intellect build being heavily nerfed, this pretty much gutted any mage player as a whole. I’ve played mage for the majority of the game (also have played every other class as well so I’m not biased) and I personally can agree with everyone when I say mage was pretty overpowered, but I think a majority of that came from the Ice Gauntlet more than Fire Staff. Fire Staff got hit with a huge nerf in the monthly patch that I personally think was not warranted. Yes, I agree that it was strong. Yes, I know mages were the top of leaderboards in wars, but these don’t justify the extreme nerfs that fire staff has gotten because of it. Mages will always be the top of war because their class has the most AOE out of any class. As for Ice Gauntlet, that thing was overpowered as fuck, I think it 100% needed a nerf, but not as hard as it got nerfed. The weapon is pretty much unviable to play with in any situation. The problem I have with the nerf of Ice Gauntlet is this, you nerfed the only form of safety net that a mage player has when getting jumped on. The Ice Gauntlets utility of saving yourself when you are getting jumped on by a melee was the only thing mages had. The nerfs to Entomb and Ice Shower really hurt the class more than it helped other classes shine in my opinion.

War Hammer / Great Axe Meta

This is the current meta that is going on right now and I personally think it is the most bring, unoriginal meta I have ever played in this game or any game for that matter. (Granted there has only been like 1 meta lol) The amount of stuns, roots, staggers that this combo has means that if you get hit by ANY SINGLE PIECE OF IT you are instantly dead. There is no counter play to this, the only counter play is to not get hit by it, which is unrealistic because no one is going to be able to dodge 6 abilities with a stamina bar that you only get 2 (light, heavy) or 3 (medium) dodges with. Don’t even get me started with trying to live through multiple people running GA/WH (FYI, It’s impossible unless you have a healer, and even then you will more than likely die). The problem I see with this is that there is nothing in the game that is a cleanse to these roots or stuns, once you are caught in one, you are pretty much dead. The server that I play is Nunne Chaha, a relatively small server with only around 300-500 people max at peak times. The server is majority Marauders and Syndicate players, and I can safely say that probably around 75% of the player base in both of those factions are running GA/WH just because of how overpowered the CC is with the two weapons.

Life Staff and Healing

As someone who swapped from Mage, to healer for my 5 man group I played with, I knew for a fact that life staff was broken, but the only problem with it being broken is that it NEEDS to be broken. Life staff being the ONLY healing weapon in the game warrants it being overpowered until they add another main focus/healing weapon. This is especially apparent after the void gauntlet addition which has perks that apply a debuff that decreases the amount of healing that you get.

Dexterity Builds

I personally think that the majority of the dexterity builds that include bow, spear, musket, rapier and hatchet are all in a pretty good spot aside from the fluidity of how bow plays. Playing bow feels very clunky and not fluid like the other weapons under this attribute. If you would like to know how I feel about the bow, my friend FrizB made a great post about the problems with the bow and what should be changed if not already changed.

FrizB’s Post

Final Thoughts

Overall, I really enjoy this game a lot and I think it has great bones that AGS can build off of. I definitely can see this game being one of the biggest new MMOs in the next 2 or 3 years if they continue to add and update their game as efficiently as they do now. I have never been as addicted to a game as I have this game. Hopefully everyone read all the way down to this part and if you did I thank you and appreciate you for taking the time to read it.

24 Likes

God tier Post^^^^

2 Likes

nice rundown man, agree w the GA/WH meta being ridiculous, I’d also like to see some love for light armor as there’s literally no reason to take a light chest over a medium aside from cosmetics.

1 Like

Yup, Great Axe and Warhammer issue is stupidly obvious, and the solutions are pretty obvious as well. GA is essentially a chasing/sticking weapon, with AoE capabilities. So why the hell is it doing stupidly high damage and granting even healing? Hammer is more utility, but due to the lack of CC immunity, having just 3 people spamming ‘stuns’ means you get staggerlocked. This wouldn’t be a problem if Tanks could actually TANK. Why is it that a shield can’t just absorb the hit? Why is a heavy attack meant to pop shields when it should be a different button that does minimal damage, but design to pop shields, like a small kick or shove? Why isn’t there any form of stagger immunity for tanks, or the fact shield bash isn’t a Hard CC ability that actually legit stuns and keeps people stunned no matter if damage is applied or not, thus enabling tanks to get in and punish those that like to engage in this manner by opening up opportunities for other roles to do their actual thing.

And then there’s the attribute scaling being all backwards wrong, punishing niche roles, which thrive in MMO games, it’s just all…bizzarro world.

2 Likes

I think that whatever change is made to the game, AGS has to always find that middle ground between PvE and PvP to cater to both groups. Your suggestion in regards to neutral zones becoming PvP only areas is not very considerate towards players that prefer PvE and it’s the reason why it’s not going to happen.

Overall, I don’t think the lack of content is the issue many players are having with the game. It’s a problem more related to being burnout and playing excessively.

The human brain gets fatigue after producing so much dopamine from a single source, in such a short span of time. You’ve also focused on the most rewarding thing the game has to offer, such as the WM system, and it’s no wonder that the other stuf the game has to offer will seem boring to you at this point.
I recommend Andrew Huberman youtube channel if you want to know more about dopamine and how to combat the burnout feeling a video game might give you.

One of the reasons why many players leave the game within the first month of release, is the feeling of burnout due to excessively playing the game. Some players are experiencing this later down the road, but inevitably it’s happening to everyone who doesn’t know how to moderate gametime.

Eventually, the majority of the remaining players are those who play the game for 2-4 hours a day and have shorter bursts of dopamine from gaming on a regular basis.

I understand that forced PvP might make you more excited about the game, but it’s an unlikely outcome if it’s happening at the expense of the game experience of other players.

TLDR: Players who burnout from too much gametime, show up in the forums with long feedback posts trying to change the game for themselves and not for everyone else. These posts are mostly getting ignored because they don’t feel very inclusive of the general playerbase. Also, read about dopamine(a substance produced by your brain when you’re having fun) and how it can induce burnout from gaming too much.

IDK man, compared to any MMO, this isn’t normal reaction or activity, and you can’t simply chalk it up to people being burned out from playing it constantly. In just ONE…MONTH, roughly 90% left. That’s a disaster in terms of MMO player activity. There’s more to it than just “I’m burnt out”, I’m pretty sure this is more along the lines of people fed up with the numerous issues New World has and they just left for greener pastures.

Don’t get me wrong man I totally agree with you in some parts but other parts not so much, everyone from the group that I started out on this game with has quit except for me. I am the only one who still plays and they all give me the same exact reason as to why they quit. There is nothing more for them to do and there is 0 content. I would be more inclined to agreeing with you about the PvP only areas not being changed, but the there is 0 reason as to why they shouldn’t be PvP exclusive zones. They are focused around “outposts” in a barren wasteland area with little to 0 civilization near them. The idea of making them PvP exclusive zones only makes sense. Not to mention all the “rare” materials that are out there can easily be found around the map in other areas that are not barren wastelands and have civilizations. Also in your TLDR, you and I both know that me making a post about what I think should be in the game isn’t going to actually change the game. I made the post to highlight the things I found while playing the game for extensive amount of time compared to others that I thought would make the game more fun and enjoyable. I’m sure there are countless amount of others who would see this post and think “oh that a cool idea” or “wow that would be fun!”. Anyways, thanks for the reply always good to get input from the other side.

That has been exploited in other games.

I watched a covenant player tonight trading kills with a marauder outside of Everfall. One doing the killing the other naked. If people are already abusing this for other things, then rewarding kills is going to be exploited like crazy.

That is for sure something that has happened in other games, but in New World if you kill the same person over and over again after the 1st kill you wont get a drop if you keep killing them over and over again. This is also a thing with the killing enemy faction PvP mission they just added because in order for the kill to count it has to be a unique player in order to get the faction medallion drop. This might have worked in other games, but New World has made it so you can’t do that. The only thing those people were getting from killing each other was the achievement for player vs player kills.

An exploit is still an exploit. I also tend to disagree with the luck/gathering bonus for flagging. Pair the bonuses with full voidbent, and you can run around never having to change gear, all you do is swap food buffs. It’s not balanced at all.

I don’t mind it, but then again, I am on a low pop server, so that explains the ease of grabbing resources. That and I’m a tank, so if anyone picks a fight, I notice they try to shoot from afar to see if my health drops, sees a tiny blip go down, and then they mind their own business.

1 Like

Very good post!

2 Likes

Impressive, you spent almost 60% of your waking hours (assuming 6hrs of sleep) ingame. Anyway, one does not need that much time ingame to agree with your observations. Your points are all valid and true and I especially agree with you on the flawed balance between magic and melee weapons. I saw this post about the same issue that I would like to link here.

In terms of the PvP changes that are needed I totally agree with you. In terms of ideas I can only post a link to my earlier post. It seems that we reached the point where people don’t know what PvP was meant to be in this game. I too see many players flagging for PvP but strictly doing gathering and not engaging into PvP at all, even when two flagged players from opposing factions stand side by side. Both just want to take the bonus 30% luck and be done with it.

I am not a fan of the 30% luck bonus because there is no risk involved other than being killed and losing a bit of durability and it does not promote PvP fights at all. You will never lose your gathered stuff. The whole risk-reward-ratio is out of balance.
That being said, I really see no point in keeping the PvP opt-in in the game. Just force PvP-vulnerability at all times for all players in order to create a sense of danger in the world. Reinstate the Criminal Intent opt-in with 30% luck bonus and enable inventory loss (not equiptment) only for Criminals. With that system there will be 3 kinds of engagements:

• Non-Criminal vs Non-Criminal (this is the peace scenario with constant sense of danger). For both players this means no attack possible, no bonus, both vulnerable to Criminals.

• Non-Criminal vs Criminal (this is the suppression scenario where the Non-Criminal is at a disadvantage). For the Non-Criminal this means he cannot attack the Criminal, is vulnerable though. No risk of losing any items.
    The Criminal instead can attack the Non-Criminal, has a 30% luck bonus but is at risk of losing inventory.
    (There could be a variant to this, where the Non-Criminal can fight off the Criminal once the Criminal made a first attack, similar to lawful self-defense. But there could be problems with that in terms of griefing and cheap shotting e.g. when a lvl 40 Criminal fights an NPC and a lvl 60 Non-Criminal positions himself so he gets damage and can then make lawful attacks. AGS would need to program this very carefully).

• Criminal vs Criminal (this is the aggression scenario where anything can happen). Both players can attack, have the 30% luck bonus and are at risk of losing inventory items.

This system works best if we had decent scaling and/or a karma system in order to prevent low level griefing. AGS could even tie a head hunting quest to this system or a most wanted board in towns.

I think NW is THE best MMO that released in the last 10 years. I played WoW for most of my MMO-career and I am happy that NW brings some fresh and creative approaches to the genre.

As @PlasticSword suggested I try to pace myself on my way to lvl 60. Since Alpha it is apparant that PVE-end-game-content is lacking. I can’t help but pitty anyone that rushed to lvl 60 just to find themselves bored and left with tedious activities.

New World surely needs some major improvments in many aspects but it is a solid basis for several years to come if AGS keeps developing this game constantly and manages to retain, recapture and win players.

P.S. - Summary of noteworth topics about improving the game
Our Vision For Combat: What Happened? v2.0
With 80% playerbase loss - its time to bring back Full loot?
You basically can’t play this game with your friends

1 Like

Totally agree about the lifestaff. I main a healer (have played other combos as well, GA/WH, IG/VG, Tank, Bow/Rapier). Lifestaff / heavy armor was broken AF. I will be the first to admit that it should not have taken 7+ people to kill me in OPR. Infact we ran a group of 5 of us in OPR. 3 would stand center and 2 would stand on our closest flag. Instant GG right there. So again. It was super OP.

The change that I thought of to balance this out would be to reduce lifestaff self healing. Healers are a huge part of MMOs and truly a major PvP threat. Hearing things in MMO PvP VC’s like “Get the Healer” or “Get them off the Healer” are very common. Ignoring Healers in PvP should mean that you are going to have a hard time killing the other team and loosing your healers should mean certain death.

Than again this would mean that people would have to focus and change up tactics from a simple smash tips UNGA BUNGA slug fest (looking at you Mr.GAWH, j/k love you).

In a even a 2v1 you should be hard pressed to kill a healer (they should also be hard pressed to kill you due to low damage output) without CC. To me that means nerfing LS Damage in PvP as well.

PvE damage is fine. It is neither good or bad right now in PvE so that could stay.

Nerfing self healing would prevent a lot of indistrictible builds while allowing healers to be remain a huge PvP threat in group settings.

Also removing the ability for people to cap points in OPR or Wars with a lifestaff would force healers into more of a defense or support role (we already get an ass-ton of assists so we don’t need cap point points for score). Granted there would need to be something to prevent weapon swapping from your inventory for this to work properly.

TLDR: As a healer I am saying: Nerf Self Healing, Nerf PvP LS Damage, Re-buff healing to what it was pre 1.1 or even at launch, remove LS ability to cap points.

I still dont understand the GA and WH buffs😓

2 Likes

Stop trying to force pvp on people. If people actually wanted to pvp then they would do, you wouldn’t have to bribe them to. Between wars, opr, and now flagged luck pvp endgame content outnumbers pve ending game content. So how about you ask AGS to actually make pvp more fun instead of asking them for ways to pressure people show don’t want to pvp to pvp.

give some pvp arena ( ranked system should be good )

With 550 hours I totally agree.

PvP is currently no fun, whoever brings more HA/GA will win, that’s it no fancy tactics involved.

2 Likes

Am I having Deja Vu

1 Like

The heal staff could be brought into balance by simple reducing or eliminating self heals on all abilities but the point heal or something. Would make healers more utility and bring it out actually diversity in open world pvp.