Current State of the Game after 600+ hours

That has been exploited in other games.

I watched a covenant player tonight trading kills with a marauder outside of Everfall. One doing the killing the other naked. If people are already abusing this for other things, then rewarding kills is going to be exploited like crazy.

That is for sure something that has happened in other games, but in New World if you kill the same person over and over again after the 1st kill you wont get a drop if you keep killing them over and over again. This is also a thing with the killing enemy faction PvP mission they just added because in order for the kill to count it has to be a unique player in order to get the faction medallion drop. This might have worked in other games, but New World has made it so you can’t do that. The only thing those people were getting from killing each other was the achievement for player vs player kills.

An exploit is still an exploit. I also tend to disagree with the luck/gathering bonus for flagging. Pair the bonuses with full voidbent, and you can run around never having to change gear, all you do is swap food buffs. It’s not balanced at all.

I don’t mind it, but then again, I am on a low pop server, so that explains the ease of grabbing resources. That and I’m a tank, so if anyone picks a fight, I notice they try to shoot from afar to see if my health drops, sees a tiny blip go down, and then they mind their own business.

1 Like

Very good post!

2 Likes

Impressive, you spent almost 60% of your waking hours (assuming 6hrs of sleep) ingame. Anyway, one does not need that much time ingame to agree with your observations. Your points are all valid and true and I especially agree with you on the flawed balance between magic and melee weapons. I saw this post about the same issue that I would like to link here.

In terms of the PvP changes that are needed I totally agree with you. In terms of ideas I can only post a link to my earlier post. It seems that we reached the point where people don’t know what PvP was meant to be in this game. I too see many players flagging for PvP but strictly doing gathering and not engaging into PvP at all, even when two flagged players from opposing factions stand side by side. Both just want to take the bonus 30% luck and be done with it.

I am not a fan of the 30% luck bonus because there is no risk involved other than being killed and losing a bit of durability and it does not promote PvP fights at all. You will never lose your gathered stuff. The whole risk-reward-ratio is out of balance.
That being said, I really see no point in keeping the PvP opt-in in the game. Just force PvP-vulnerability at all times for all players in order to create a sense of danger in the world. Reinstate the Criminal Intent opt-in with 30% luck bonus and enable inventory loss (not equiptment) only for Criminals. With that system there will be 3 kinds of engagements:

• Non-Criminal vs Non-Criminal (this is the peace scenario with constant sense of danger). For both players this means no attack possible, no bonus, both vulnerable to Criminals.

• Non-Criminal vs Criminal (this is the suppression scenario where the Non-Criminal is at a disadvantage). For the Non-Criminal this means he cannot attack the Criminal, is vulnerable though. No risk of losing any items.
    The Criminal instead can attack the Non-Criminal, has a 30% luck bonus but is at risk of losing inventory.
    (There could be a variant to this, where the Non-Criminal can fight off the Criminal once the Criminal made a first attack, similar to lawful self-defense. But there could be problems with that in terms of griefing and cheap shotting e.g. when a lvl 40 Criminal fights an NPC and a lvl 60 Non-Criminal positions himself so he gets damage and can then make lawful attacks. AGS would need to program this very carefully).

• Criminal vs Criminal (this is the aggression scenario where anything can happen). Both players can attack, have the 30% luck bonus and are at risk of losing inventory items.

This system works best if we had decent scaling and/or a karma system in order to prevent low level griefing. AGS could even tie a head hunting quest to this system or a most wanted board in towns.

I think NW is THE best MMO that released in the last 10 years. I played WoW for most of my MMO-career and I am happy that NW brings some fresh and creative approaches to the genre.

As @PlasticSword suggested I try to pace myself on my way to lvl 60. Since Alpha it is apparant that PVE-end-game-content is lacking. I can’t help but pitty anyone that rushed to lvl 60 just to find themselves bored and left with tedious activities.

New World surely needs some major improvments in many aspects but it is a solid basis for several years to come if AGS keeps developing this game constantly and manages to retain, recapture and win players.

P.S. - Summary of noteworth topics about improving the game
Our Vision For Combat: What Happened? v2.0
With 80% playerbase loss - its time to bring back Full loot?
You basically can’t play this game with your friends

1 Like

Totally agree about the lifestaff. I main a healer (have played other combos as well, GA/WH, IG/VG, Tank, Bow/Rapier). Lifestaff / heavy armor was broken AF. I will be the first to admit that it should not have taken 7+ people to kill me in OPR. Infact we ran a group of 5 of us in OPR. 3 would stand center and 2 would stand on our closest flag. Instant GG right there. So again. It was super OP.

The change that I thought of to balance this out would be to reduce lifestaff self healing. Healers are a huge part of MMOs and truly a major PvP threat. Hearing things in MMO PvP VC’s like “Get the Healer” or “Get them off the Healer” are very common. Ignoring Healers in PvP should mean that you are going to have a hard time killing the other team and loosing your healers should mean certain death.

Than again this would mean that people would have to focus and change up tactics from a simple smash tips UNGA BUNGA slug fest (looking at you Mr.GAWH, j/k love you).

In a even a 2v1 you should be hard pressed to kill a healer (they should also be hard pressed to kill you due to low damage output) without CC. To me that means nerfing LS Damage in PvP as well.

PvE damage is fine. It is neither good or bad right now in PvE so that could stay.

Nerfing self healing would prevent a lot of indistrictible builds while allowing healers to be remain a huge PvP threat in group settings.

Also removing the ability for people to cap points in OPR or Wars with a lifestaff would force healers into more of a defense or support role (we already get an ass-ton of assists so we don’t need cap point points for score). Granted there would need to be something to prevent weapon swapping from your inventory for this to work properly.

TLDR: As a healer I am saying: Nerf Self Healing, Nerf PvP LS Damage, Re-buff healing to what it was pre 1.1 or even at launch, remove LS ability to cap points.

I still dont understand the GA and WH buffs😓

2 Likes

Stop trying to force pvp on people. If people actually wanted to pvp then they would do, you wouldn’t have to bribe them to. Between wars, opr, and now flagged luck pvp endgame content outnumbers pve ending game content. So how about you ask AGS to actually make pvp more fun instead of asking them for ways to pressure people show don’t want to pvp to pvp.

give some pvp arena ( ranked system should be good )

With 550 hours I totally agree.

PvP is currently no fun, whoever brings more HA/GA will win, that’s it no fancy tactics involved.

2 Likes

Am I having Deja Vu

1 Like

The heal staff could be brought into balance by simple reducing or eliminating self heals on all abilities but the point heal or something. Would make healers more utility and bring it out actually diversity in open world pvp.

The world tour zerg run is not fun or immersive. You follow the leader, avoid attacking, and have a low chance at extra drops. The common player doesn’t care if you die and miss your chests. More often than not the goal is to use you as agro so they can grab their chest. If you fall behind you’re on your own.

It’s much more enjoyable going in with a group of 5-10 players. Unfortunately even that typically gets ruined by agro brought by other players.

800 Hours here.

Content of the game - I somewhat disagree, daily chest runs should take about 2 hrs, 1 expedition a day another 30 mins, do couple of OPRs another hour, and finally 1 war/ invasion a day which is another hour. This totals to 4.5 hours a day, which for someone who is burnt out should be plenty. I am glad that there isn’t too much to do so I can finally relax a little. The only thing I really hate about the content right now is how much grind they added. At the end of chest runs I ALT F4 because of how tired and boring they are, they added bunch of health to mobs and it is just NOT fun. They also made it harder to level up weapon mastery/ crafting experience. AGS thinks that these changes will expand the end game, but instead they killed end game for me, I barely log in now because of how much work it requires to advance anything. Waiting for a big change.

PvP Flag Changes - I avoid doing 1v1s as they are pointless. If a single player tries to kill me, I just stand there and heal myself to show them that it is pointless. so I think it is a balancing issue more than anything. I do agree that this game should be more pvp focused. I’d love experience loss for dying OR loot loss for dying OR some other penalty other than durability.

** Open World Griefing ** - Forced PVP in neutral zones sounds awesome. My guild always blames the griefers that lure mobs. It is not player fault, it is design flaw. Either forced PVP or enabled pvp with Karma system is something I definitely stand behind.

** Weapon Balances ** - No comment as this should not be priority

1 Like

The problem with PvP not being fun is no one cares to fight because the drops we get are 500 gs when the majority of people who are fighting at way past that WM. You are stuck on fighting 2-3 of the same people because they are the only ones who want to flag for PvP only. If you make PvP more rewarding and give people something to look forward to when killing someone it would make the entire experience a lot more fun and enjoyable for all. I’m not trying to “force PvP” on anyone. I’m saying instead of giving people Luck and Harvesting Luck for flagging why not give them better rewards for actually fighting.

I totally agree with your post, the problem I have with end game content is there isn’t enough to make me enjoy playing endgame content if you get what im saying. Playing OPR is boring after 2-3 play throughs, wars (before the most recent maintenance) were absolute garbage lag fests. Chest runs are the same end game content over and over again with 0 originality. That is pretty much it. There is 2 dungeons in the game and both of them are easy af to do with little to nothing challenging about them. (Don’t get my wrong I love the expeditions but they are easy af rn) I can run through Genisis in less than 25 mins, and Laz in about 30ish.

All I read was a pvp’r making a rediculously long post about nerfing WH/GA, for pvp reasons, while never considering the fact this a PVE centric game.

1 Like

it is not, it never was and while pve was added to the game and yes its fun and part of the contet but the game is pvp centric always was

WH/GA is the best combo in the game and even before the buff, GA was the one of if not the best weapon in the game second only to maybe Ice Gauntlet. Regardless of PvP or not, the weapon is not balanced at all and is op in PvE and PvP. This game was originally made as a PvP centric game in the very first beta they did around 2 years ago, I didn’t get to play it but 2 of my guildmates played it extensively together and told me how it was pretty much you were always flagged and could lose your loot outside of cities. Also the whole way you play this game in the end game by taking territories, outpost rush, and war, these are all PvP focused things. So saying this game is PvE centric is wrong.

2 Likes