There have been many posts with the same issue, but another post from user “Reiker” explained it perfectly so ill copy paste it here:
Since about 1.1 it has been unplayable for me. In PVE and PVP i get desync, teleporting, etc.
There are two situations that tend to cause the desync: lunging forward and/or colliding with a friendly player. If you swing at someone running away from you, you will lunge forward and even hear the successful hit sound effect but then teleport back a short distance with no damage dealt. If you collide with a friendly player on a melee attack you will similarly teleport back without doing damage. The second one is a big problem in PvE when a lot of people are attacking the same mob.
I have tried EVERY SINGLE trouble shooting method I found on these forums and google multiple times. I will post a Backup Log file here as well from a couple days ago. If you need more logs, let me know
****** Please make sure you fill out the following information before submitting a report ******
Don’t forget to check the Known Issues List to see if your issue is currently being worked on by the dev team.
We also have existing workaround for some issues that you can find here:
- What is your character name in New World: JitchOnTwitch
- What server/world did you experience your issue on: Mag Mell USWest
- Describe the issue you are experiencing: described above
- Is this a bug or an exploit: bug
- (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: makes it unplayable
- (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: no
- (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced: no videos
- What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: described above