Desync will be the knife in the heart of New World

Desync is the #1 player retention issue facing New World and there’s not near enough urgency / communication from AGS on this.

There are a lot of design/balance/content problems but these are relatively easy to fix or solve for (from a coding standpoint) compared to the seemingly abhorrent netcode causing unplayable levels of lag, stuttering, desync, etc that absolutely ruins PvP enjoyment for anyone who experiences it.

This is very easy to duplicate. There’s a hundred videos on it. With a GA, I can go to any Fort, smack a target dummy, dodge backwards and immediately charge a heavy attack, and it will ghost hit 25% of the time, followed by a small delay where the server repositions my character to where it actually thinks I am. This is on a target dummy, a stationary doodad. In 50v50 PvP settings where everyone is dodge spamming and getting iframes plus the desync, the game is an absolute mess.

If the netcode isn’t polished and the deysnc does not improve, the game will never succeed. No content update, balance update, etc is going to make the combat feel better if the desync can’t be minimized.

The movement and combat in general in this game, particularly the issues pertaining to movement (falling off a pebble causes your character to lose momentum) or abilities like Berserk stopping your character dead in their tracks, or even how every time a melee class swings a weapon in full sprint they lose all momentum and do a terrible swing-hop animation… this all feels terrible. Coupled with the desync it feels sloppy and unresponsive most of the time.

If fixing the netcode/desync isn’t the top priortiy for AGS right now, the game will die. The fundamentals don’t work properly and layering content on top of broken fundamentals is not going to save the game.

64 Likes

+1

4 Likes

+2

3 Likes

+10000000000000000000

3 Likes

What about a small rock on the ground messing up my dodge roll lol.

2 Likes

+1

who need any kind of legos if u cant land a hit lmao

2 Likes

Game is unplayable with this desync. So frustrating makes me log off. Company members never log on anymore :frowning:

3 Likes

They are working on it, they just don’t know how to fix it, or rather, haven’t found the cause. They need to hire more debuggers.

1 Like

Same! It’s infuriating. Especially in a game where movement and positioning plays such a key role in PvP. Having those stutter steps / botched dodges will make the difference when facing a good player.

+x

1 Like

There are a lot of knives already there, not sure if there is room for more.

1 Like

PoE had nasty (and I mean way worse than this) desync issues way back when. Similar to this.

AGS should call GGG :slight_smile:

1 Like

#2 - Restitution for all tax paid!

Tax revenue is a blatant overlook. The income creates inequality a drastic wealth gap slowing the economy.

The wealth gap discredits time played by devaluation of coin.

3 Likes

dude, GA light attacks completely stop your character while you wind up to swing. You dont even have to use an ability. Hammer animations take forever on all their abilities. GA Whirlwind desyncs your character 75 percent of the time. Ill be in a dungeon (only viable place for Whirlwind is dungeon trash) and ill use the ability. after the ability ends i get teleported up against a wall facing away from everything and enemies health resets to before my attack.

I would say revert all the nerfs to the great axe and hammer until they sort out the desync issue. then balance around a fundamentally sound combat system. These last two months have been horrendous for a GA user.

3 Likes

This stuff is hard to fix but it needs to be worked on. Don’t need perfect but a lot of basic stuff should be much more reliable.

1 Like

agreed

2 Likes

New nerfs every other day, bots out of control, more grind on top of the same grind, loot drops nerfed and/or luck broken, who knows just barely any drops now.

It is like they are looking for ways to get people to quit playing at every turn. Just shut it down if that is the goal.

4 Likes

Nothing more to say, +1000, they (devs/AGS) just don’t seem to get it or simply do not care as they probably don’t play this game - it is us who get frustrated, they just have got some money from us, drink a Cola and eat a banana during the job and go home.

2 Likes

bump

1 Like

The GA lunge was overtuned but instead of nerfing it they actually completely removed it from light attacks. That’s why it feels so bad now because it stops you dead and swings at air. Melee weapons are in a terrible place, it’s why the meta has shifted - but not because they aren’t powerful by design, it’s because of the desync. Imagine if a Hatchet didn’t ghost 50% of its attacks. It would easily be the best weapon in the game.

Desync has made balance borderline impossible because who knows how certain specs will perform if desync magically disappears. If I connect on someone with a Hatchet, I can kill something insanely quick if I don’t desync. Other times I can’t land a single attack and get buffooned. The combat just feels like such trash right now.

2 Likes