Does Luck Help Drop Weaponsmith Pants? Response to [Dev Blog] Luck FAQ

Near the top of [Dev Blog] Luck FAQ it implies that it does.

• Here are some of the low-drop-chance items Global Luck helps you get:
    • Trade Skill Armors

However, it also says it is affected by Luck Safe…

What does Luck Safe mean?

Almost all global loot (outside of Void Essence) has something called Luck Safe applied to it which makes sure the luck % modifiers attached to a roll scale in a controlled manner. This is to make sure loot percentages for items won’t be modified wildly, making low-drop-chance items trivial to earn. It also ensures any item that is flagged as luck safe is earnable without having any luck modifier (although having a luck modifier improves your chances).

Which I can only assume means that Luck Safe stymies Global Luck to reduce the opportunity for certain items to drop, such as Weaponsmith pants. This leads me to believe that although additional luck will always “improve” your chances to get an item, that improvement has significant diminishing returns on the high levels of Global Luck. Although it’s implied that its a ratioed amount of luck(and that more luck will always be better), It could be that global luck and its effect on Luck Safe items could plateau, or very nearly plateau.

This is being done so that no matter how hard you try the odds of getting the drop will, for all intents and purposes, never reach above a certain %…so that a market cannot be flooded by items that are supposed to be rare. Even though our markets are flooded by semi-rare items that we mostly just throw away. I throw away so much stuff in this game that has niche purposes, mostly because I, and everyone else, have so many of those things, i.e. Arcanist Gloves and Chef Hats… This ultimately leads us all to farm 1 thing, over and over…Weaponsmith Pants.

Malevolence, if he’s going to drop a crazy rare thing, should only drop that one thing in that category/bucket, i.e. Weaponsmith pants. He should not have a “bucket” with Weaponsmith Pants and 9 other things…Those 9 other things should be spread out, similarly, items like Armorer Gloves shouldn’t be on every damn creature in malevolence, but if it does, as it does now, it definitely shouldn’t also drop on Malevolence, himself…

I really do wish the devs were more clear, they basically explained everything about luck except the things that mattered to the actual players trying to farm these crazy rare items…

Loot rolls have a complex series of gates to loot pools. There was a post a while back where a data miner went down the rabbit hole on luck drop and it had something like 20+ branches of loot gate rolls to get a specific item in Ebonscale reach.

I personally have farmed a specific named mob almost since launch. I have documented most of his drops but tbh I wasn’t as detailed on the first several hundred kills.

The mob I farm has 3 unique named weapon drops and 2 trades skill drops. The only legendary items it can drop are crafting components like runic thread and embossed wrapping.

I used to farm it with <5% total luck and averaged a unique drop ( named weapon / tradeskill gear / tradeskill material ) about 1 in 170.

Being at >29% luck these last few month I’ve noticed a tremendous increase in farming my last several hundred. I now get a unique drop in roughly 1:60.

Now the actual drops seem to be pretty even in my unique pool, of the 3 weapons I get them pretty evenly. Of the two tradeskill armors I also get them pretty evenly. However, I get about 5x more named weapon drops vs. tradeskill gear.

I’ve started in the last few hundred started documenting a lot more detail; all drops, juniper bag droprate, trash gear GS, stats, perk, etc.

This is partly what I mean. Devs tell us about 1% = 1000 luck points, or something. But then a data miner is like: “well actually, there’s tables inside of tables inside of tables…”

That being said, I thought the gathering skills had multiple tables, higher luck opened higher tables. And the monster/chests had single tables and categorical buckets, who’s contents are equally possible once you hit the bucket…

I pretty much run around exclusively in 20% Global Luck plus PvP Luck. I 100% believe it “helps” but I feel it’s contribution is very limited…that being said, what I do get a lot of is worthless green and blue sub-600s…

My understanding of loot luck is: based on what was detailed in the recent post, there is a near maximum that you can improve your chances to reach a certain bucket, and it doesn’t seem all that much higher then the base chance, particularly for the rarest items, i.e. Weaponsmith Pants…

I would love to know if you collect any data detailing different levels of luck(10% v 15% v 25%) on your farm. I’d be interested to see if there’s significant diminishing returns or if at any of those points you start to head for a ceiling or limit, particularly for the rarest item it drops…

Also. I do not believe that luck safe or the plateauing is equal for all items/buckets/tables/etc.

The only data I have is about 1:170 in named/craft mat/tradeskill gear with low luck and 1:60 with a little over 29%. But, that’s also across a few versions of the game so things might have changed behind the scenes.

There was one night in particular a few patches back where I got 7 tradeskill gear drops in two hours. Could just be a very lucky streak but that’s like 2,000 kills worth statistically… so… yeah. Other than that one night I run pretty close to normal expected drop rates

I do not run flagged because my luck weapons aren’t my primary weapons… I might give that a try and see what it’s like after a few hundred; if it makes a big difference or not.

It’ll take me a few days though.

yes it does, trade gear counts as named items.

I’ve noticed PVP luck to increase the number of greens and blues I get, it’s noticeable enough…That being said not sure it helps the other stuff though(the things we actually want)

Obviously, but this answer is as useless as the Devs answers…because it doesn’t actually tell us how much or what amount it helps, and if we should even be wasting our time with luck gear or farming in general (or if there’s a point, too many ppl or too many times, at which farming is just wasting time)…

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.