Revised and simplified an earlier suggestion. Also reworded so that it’s clear that there is no need for changing anything existing, with the suggested changes targeted at a future expansion.
For everything existing in the game:
- Players can continue to buy/sell whatever they gather or craft from the existing game world as before
- Add new craftable cosmetic sets/weapons that can be used in the new transmog system, craftable using gatherables found in the 1-60 classic leveling zones either by gathering or buying materials with gold
- No new player-power related additions that can be had with gold added before an expansion is released, the new system described below gets adopted
For everything coming up as part of an expansion:
- Players cannot sell any gathered materials that are found in new expansion zones and any future expansions
- Players cannot sell any craftable items using materials from new expansion zones
- Gatherable amounts are capped on a per gatherable per player per 24 hours cycle
- Gatherables have no reason to despawn - so they can stay static and lessen the computational load on the server
- Tradepost gets a new feature added: “item trading” allowing players to trade anything to anything, for example, a new mining gatherable for a new herbalism gatherable or trading weapon to weapon, any to any…etc.
- Gold is mainly used for cosmetics that players can buy with real money via the shop, but it would take them 3 months worth of gold farming to unlock a single cosmetic.
What this system tries to achieve is:
- Give meaning and purpose to gathering and crafting
- Remove the need for gold for anything player-power related
- Add a true crafting/gathering related end-game for those who actually enjoy dedicating their time to these activities
- Tackle RMT, gold farming/botting…etc at the root cause. Nobody in their right mind would RMT for cosmetics. They always only do so to get more powerful.
- Encourage people to want to actually spend more time playing the game meaningfully while feeling rewarded for their time in both end-game gearing via gathering/crafting or players wanting to play the game more in order to unlock store cosmetics for free
The goal is not to remove gold from the game, but to make it so that it is only tied to cosmetic, non-power related items without forcing the devs to change existing systems at all. Basically, it would turn gold into an in-game equivalent of the real world currency in terms of its usage within NW. Both, in-game gold and real money would be usable on the in-game shop. Except, gold is more scarce and takes a long time to farm via in game activities and is also used for the vanila game zones gatherables/craftables, and since these are not needed for end-game power-related gearing/progression, they retain their value through craftable/sellable cosmetics.