Exploit of Tax reduction

****** Please make sure you fill out the following information before submitting a report ******

Don’t forget to check the Known Issues List to see if your issue is currently being worked on by the dev team.
We also have existing workaround for some issues that you can find here:

• What is your character name in New World: DeadOnARival
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: Albraca
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: In response to AGS reducing the taxes due by players with houses in the game yet still ensuring that the owning company receives the full amount, every company controlling towns raised the property tax into the extreme category
  • Is this a bug or an exploit: exploit
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay:
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue:
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced:
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: just look at the current tax rates on servers as a result.

This is an intentional exploit of the temporary fix that AGS put in place to ensure that while the TP is not working, companies can still pay the upkeep. On Albraca the property tax rate was actually fairly moderate in most territories until the 90% reduction in taxes was instated. Shortly thereafter, every territory moved into the extreme category.

7 Likes

It is the same on my server Folkvangr. All but two territories are set to Extreme for Property Tax. Either they are unaware that they are being compensated by AGS (doubtful) or they are intentionally taking advantage of a potential windfall (albeit a small amount in the greater context of the server economy).

When it is brought up in chat some “hard core” level 60 types call you a cry baby, but they don’t realize or don’t care that it is exploitation. I dare say in some jurisdictions IRL such an action would be likened to unjust enrichment.

Anyway, the best thing you can do is just ride it out. For me I left the town that was set to Extreme and moved to a town with fairer taxes and fees.

I, personally, hope that the players who raised the taxes receive at least a temporary ban.

This is an intentional exploit of something the devs put in place to ensure that companies still get paid while reducing the burden on the companies and players who do not have a tax income and are unable to use the TP.

If buying something at a low price on the TP can result in a ban because the item was originally duped then this should result in one as well. No, I am not talking about players who bought large amounts of duped items but rather those players who bought a single or small amount because they thought it was a good deal.

1 Like

I’m baffled, instead of giving AGS heat for not thinking shit through, again!
You’re going after the Player that act well within their, game wise, “legal” possibility’s of raising taxes.

Not when they do it to take advantage of something that was instated to allow them to receive the full income. Anyone who had the taxes that high before the reduction was instated was well within the rights granted them. Anyone who did so, after the reduction, is exploiting, pure and simple. It is called profiteering.

in German the exact term in a “legal” sense would be wucherei

My issues with AGS are a different topic. To which I am also writing a post. First question there will be “Who thought it would be a good idea to roll out a patch in the last couple of days before Thanksgiving holiday?”

1 Like

Yet another reason to completely separate Settlements from any player influence whatsoever.
Players simply insist on ruining the game every way they can.

Better PvP by completely separating player influence over Settlements - Game Feedback / Game Feedback - New World Forums

4 Likes

Maybe? but you would have no way of telling who made the decision because they actually needed the money for x, which would have had them do it anyway, vs those who raised them due to the change. Also, if it is a player’s choice to raise or lower tax they have every right to use it. if they didn’t want this to happen, then just lock property taxes at moderate. Plus until they allow selling your house the whole thing is screwy. Congrats you own property in a town run by a…not nice person?..and your out the full cost of your house if you wanna move.

Disagree completely with removing settlement control. makes it interesting. if the servers were fully populated because you can be ganged up on for abusing your power and hindering others progress. Can’t just not do something fun cause someone might ruin it. no way to live your life lol.

Except you’re dead wrong on profiteering, oder dem Wucherei Ansatz.
Cause those would only be correct if under normal circumstance the tax couldn’t be set to that percentage. But well actually the Game limits the value on both Ends so there’s that.
Furthermore even the Link to Profiteering you posted say’s exactly that, overpricing stuff that is limited and needed. Neither of it really applies here, right?

So it’s still the usuall AGS fuckup, implementing shit without giving it even a single thought, they could have simply locked the taxes in place for the duration of the discount.

1 Like

Profiteering - the act of taking advantage of a situation to make a profit.

Read the first definition, not the business English definition.

Or are you of the opinion that jacking up the taxes, as in this case, is not taking advantage of the situation?

It is sort of exploity, but honestly, AGS is picking up the tab, AND they are the ones who put the “economic stimulus” in place.

I see no wrong.

So your nitpicking at just a part of a sentence while completely ignore the other half and all the explanations too? Not seeing much room for a discussion there.

No, I am not nitpicking nor am I cherry-picking like you are. Let’s take a look at both the normal English and business English definitions.

Normal English:

the act of taking advantage of a situation in order to make a profit, usually by charging high prices for things people need.

Business English:

the activity of taking unfair advantage of a situation to make a large profit, often by selling goods that are difficult to get at a very high price.

In both versions the definition is almost word for word the same.

The act/activity of taking ./unfair advantage of a situation to make a ./large profit.

Both statements then give an example, which is not the same as a definition. The examples used there and all the other examples then listed on the page are different, and since there are no companies in the modern world who set taxes. It would be difficult to find such examples in the modern world. When you go back in history, examples abound of exactly this type of profiteering. Company towns would be the closest you would come to this system in recent history. Going further back, you have the Raubritter and the illegal Wegezolle in the Middle-Ages. A little bit of research will show you more examples.

Exploitation is exploitation. Whether large or small, it remains exploitation.

Only partly is AGS picking up the tab. The player still pays more in taxes as AGS only reduces his taxes from 100% to 90% due. The amount that is due however is based on the purchase price of the house an the actual tax rate.

If the normal tax on a house is 10% and a player would normally pay 1000g then he would currently pay 100g under the tax reduction while the company would continue to receive 1000g.

If the company jacks the taxes up another 2% for a total tax of 12% that same player would have to pay 1200g and under the current reduction 120g while the company receives 1200g.

People already complained about his, they aren’t doing anything about it.

Well, it’s the same almost everywhere…

That isn’t how it works.

AGS is paying 90% of the property tax rate set by the company controlling a territory. Currently the max property tax rate allowed is 20%, which most players find oppressive. Since AGS is footing most of the bill, companies have jacked taxes up to the max rate, which translates to players having to pay the maximum of 2% after the discount.

This isnt a bug report. the max tax rate went from 20% to 2%. This is a complaint and it belongs in the suggestions forum. jeeze.

Edit: Also AGS isnt footing anything. Housing tax revenue is drastrically down from this. Companies arent getting a dime from AGS lol

“Company income from home ownership has been also raised to prevent loss of income during this period. This is a portion of additional compensation we will be rolling out in future patches.”

Read Me

I did not report it as a bug. See 4th Bullet Point in the OP. You will see I reported it as an exploit. Which it is.

It’s not an exploit that gets reported. You’re being exploited legitimately. This isn’t an unintended exploit. Take over the territory or refuse to patronize it. This is intended by game design lol