With this PTR release, we’ve introduced an enthralling new expedition that’s anything but shanty!
[NOTE: This expedition will be unlocked several days following the initial opening of the PTR. This will facilitate ample testing and feedback for the rest of the update’s content, as well.]
Barnacles & Black Powder
A dark tide rises in Aeternum with the arrival of Admiral Blackpowder and his dastardly crew! Quest givers in the Cutlass Keys settlement and the new docks on the territory’s eastern shore will be looking to offer you loot and renown for defeating the despicable evil within the new Barnacles & Black Powder expedition.
Rumors suggest there might be an even greater power within the Admiral’s hold. Not to mention, more than meets the eye… as with most things in Aeternum, of course. Barnacles & Black Powder is an endgame expedition. The entrance can be found at the small docks in south east Cutlass Keys.
- Expedition Mutators
- Barnacles & Black Powder will be mutated 2 weeks after it releases into the live game.
- 3 new mutations will also join the mutation rotation!
Icebound: A mutation that focuses on Ice elemental effects related to incoming and outgoing damage. It can also apply Slow status effects!
Oppressive: A promotion set that includes mana drains and zones of silence, which prevent ability usage for a short period of time.
Frenzied: This variant applies Curses to players that dodge. Curses stack and deal damage over time. Max stacks also damage nearby allies.
Please let us know how you’ve enjoyed this piece of content on the PTR! In particular, we’re especially keen on feedback relating to enjoyment of the new encounters, their sense of difficulty versus reward, potential for abuse/cheesing, technical issues with phase transitions/terrain navigation, and overall general impressions of the expedition itself.
When mutators become available for testing later in the preview cycle, we’ll be interested in similar feedback to the above as well, in addition to overall impressions of the mutators specifically — the challenges they bring, fun and the added value to the expedition.
Thank you for your insight and valuable input during our early build preview phase!
If you are experiencing a bug, please utilize the following template:
- What is your character name in the PTR:
- What server/world did you experience your issue on:
- Describe the issue you are experiencing:
- Is this a bug or an exploit:
- (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay:
- (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue:
- (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced:
- What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:
You can find resources on how to leave good feedback in the How to Give High Quality Feedback post.
Your help in keeping feedback unrelated to the issue above regarding the Player vs Player Reward Track out of this focus thread is much appreciated!
Thank you for helping make New World the best game it can be!
See you in Aeternum!
We are working our way through this and I’ll give a breakdown after a few runs, looks like the PTR server just went boom though. We were about half/way through the quest we think.
Final boss does not drop loot, seemingly.
I did not get loot from last boss either and my game crashed as soon as I took the portal out of the Expedition
Cavern of Forbidden Plunder
Adjust the ghosts to purple for consistency with the curse color on the plunder.
Adjust the copied axe swing trap into something related to the curse.
Make some changes to the area layout so it isn’t a straight 1/1 copy from Lazarus.
Puzzle to open the Sunken Depths gate is quite repetitive, either have 3 altars or only require to do it once.
Reskin the tendril mob into blue/white color tint add seaweed and starfish to it’s design and give it water abilities, would fit a lot better especially since that part has ice ghosts.
Remove the copied Siren Queen Lightning Spear Throw attack or change it into something water related.
Overall a good dungeon, great map design, 2 solid bosses.
It’s just the finishing touches and emphasizing on giving the dungeon a identity.
I highly advice to design this dungeon with a pirate/water theme.
And please work on mob variety, we already setting the bar low here and just asking for re-skins even though the game has been out for 1+ year.
Giving “Focus Feedback” here.
- I really like the Blackpowder boss fight. The Lost Brute (with cannons) enemy type is fairly rare elsewhere in the game so having a unique boss skin with unique boss mechanics on a rare enemy type is very interesting and cool to see.
- Dungeon mechanics (in the boss fight plus in general dungeon areas) that require interactivity to do combat (eg. cannons!) are cool. Might seem like a “press button to slow down and break pacing” thing that could come across as bad, but they’re different to regular gameplay. I like that! Dungeons are not regular gameplay, and embracing that is awesome.
- Even the dungeon stuff that you don’t interact but have to shoot off in the distance is cool. Shooting a lever to open a door is nifty and helps with the “breaking and entering” vibe really nicely.
- The Nereid fight is too similar to the Siren Queen Arena fight. I know it’s got some extra attacks, but considering how much we’ve played through the Sirens Arena and how it’s become kinda doable in your sleep, the Nereid fight isn’t as cool with that in mind.
- The cursed burning gold segment after the Blackpowder fight goes over terrain that is identical to terrain found in the Lazarus Instrumentality. That comes across as lazy and breaks immersion.
- Kinda a combo of the previous dot points, but this dungeon comes across as more cut-and-paste content compared to the previous expeditions. Making pirate-themed stuff unique when the whole game has an undercurrent of pirate-themed stuff is tricky, sure, but we’ve seen so much creativity and variety in other dungeons even when they have the same enemy types or similar themes.
Like, Starstone does not feel like Laz. Dynasty does not feel like Depths and Depths doesn’t feel like Tempest. On paper, Barnacles and Blackpowder should be unique with that combo of Lost and Angry Earth - but it just doesn’t come across very well especially as a player that farms Sirens/Forecastle Drift a lot.
Silly suggestions that can definitely be ignored but it would be so cool, lol:
- Nereid could be reworked to be more unique / be a bigger deal. Go bigger with the theming. Really underwater stuff would be wicked. Arena-wide events like a wave of water that just pushes everyone in a direction to disrupt the fight. Or arena interactables like thermal vents to do fire damage (eg. players can use them to damage Nereid, or make Nereid interact with them to aim and attack players with thermal vents, or make them just natural damage-everyone-in-range AOE things). Could be something where players shoot smouldering rocks in the arena to trigger fire bursts, similar to how they shoot levers to open doors earlier in the dungeon. Using learned dungeon mechanics in the boss battle would be wicked!
- It’s a nice dungeon, and definitely nice to have a smaller one after the big Tempest. Just wish it was a bit more polished or stylish.
Did not get loot from either of the 2 bosses, and game crashed when leaving the dungeon, I liked the dungeon overall though!
This expedition suffers from the same problems like Tempest Heart, although I think Tempest Heart was visually better than Barnacles.
- The mobs are just the same pirate mobs we can fight in the open world. Even a reskin would be better than no changes at all. It just doesnt feel like a unique expedition and its not fun to play against the same enemies since release
- The first Boss has good mechanics, however some attacks are also just a copy & paste from the Reekwater Brutes. At least this Boss is a reskin.
- The last Boss has the same issues. It is just a reskinned version of the Siren Queen with the same movements, the same weapon, the same abilities with just one whirlwind and vortex ability being extra.
- Minibosses are just elite named normal mobs (and yes thats a bad thing)
When all of the expeditions are built like this, it doesnt matter how visually stunning they are. First you should make the gameplay unique and fun and then add to the terrain. There are only few expeditions in New World and that would be fine If you would make them truly unique.
Yes, please add some flags or something to hide the copy pasta, its really jarring. Maybe some extra foliage.
Its a bit too much in your face its the LAZ part.
Agree. Mobs must be reworked. At least change the visual or make some reskins.
I wanna tag along with most of the current feedback.
The first boss is obviously the highlight of the expedition, it has some really interesting mechanics, something somewhat new! Which I can only applaud as it is more stuff like this we need. GO WILD.
The biggest let down are the mobs, as many have stated, at least give them a re-skin. A different color, I know most of the development team is probably( hopefully) working on Brimstone. That said, it comes out pretty lazy and a shame, since the dungeon could be the new big thing. Maybe put in some clock making sound as a wink to Captain Hook, like the clock sound from Stranger things Season 4.
Maybe have some skeletons using the accordion or something.
There is a part with the cursed gold that is an exact copy pasta from LAZ, maybe hide some key features with flags or skeletons/foliage so you can hide the copy pasta.
The cursed gold should be active the moment u enter the expedition. Its kinda wasted on being only used in that part.
I am curious, the dev video specially stated they tried something different with this expedition? What exactly? I also heard it would be the longest one yet, so far it has been the shortest.
I’d rate it a 6/10, being the 6 the first boss with canon mechanics.
This game is going to die and the developers are letting it. Everything in the dungeon is a reused asset. The two bosses have new models, but it’s basically brute from sirens and sirens queen with a new look.
I don’t understand how after almost a year since launch we have not seen a single new asset for a trash mob. I guess the majority of the team works on shop items.
I’m literally not even going to run this dungeon until the mutated version comes out. Get the codex once and done, shame.
I saw the same issue with elemental resistances that ThrilledNW mentioned.
With 50/50 Nature Gem
PowderKeg boss = took additional damage for nature
Nereid (final boss) = took less damage for nature than the base damage.
His screenshots show it perfect.
that’s because nereid is angry earth
@Devs First Look at the NEW Barnacles and Blackpowder Dungeon in New World - YouTube
I thought this was a fair assessment.
The dungeon is cool, its shows a new side of NW developers, like the way u have to hit levers etc. The swinging axes etc…
But overall its a missed opportunity… yet again.
Also, the bomber mobs, at first people thought u had to use them to open hidden passages, but alas that was not the case. This would have added a lot to the expedition.
I also think you could have done a lot more in terms of traps, maybe some spears out of the ground, flamethrower in the wall.
The rehashing of the mobs certainly didn’t help and also why would you add angry earth tendrils in a Lost dungeon? Hope this is a placeholder as well.
The highlight of the dungeon is the first boss, with the cool mechanics, the Siren Queen, lets just call her that, is a huge downer.
Angry Earth are
-15% Thrust damage
-40% Lightning damage
+20% Slash damage
+30% Fire damage
Nereid is Angry Earth according to the label in the files but has the wrong resists for both Angry Earth and Lost. As you said,
That said, some lost (elemental ghosts) have unique resists. Maybe they were doing this on purpose.