[Focus Feedback & Bug Reporting] Combat Changes & Balance Tuning

Greetings Adventurers,

With this PTR release, we’ve made a metric ton of changes to all weapons — including some vast reworks for Bow and Hatchet both!

Due to the scope of changes across the board, it is advised to read all of the Combat changes in full listed within our release notes (PTR: Summer PTR Release Notes) and try them out in our PTR.

Please let us know how you enjoyed these balance changes on the PTR! Please keep feedback relating to the impact of these changes specifically, and the observed evolutions to both PvE and PvP combat balance. Such as, do these changes feel appropriate and fun or do they seem not enough/too much? In addition, please let us know if you encounter any technical issues that may have arisen due to these adjustments, such as gameplay bugs, exploits, or client stability/performance problems.

Thank you for your insight and valuable input during our early build preview phase!

### If you are experiencing a bug, please utilize the following template:
  • What is your character name in the PTR:
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on:
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing:
  • Is this a bug or an exploit:
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay:
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue:
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced:
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:

You can find resources on how to leave good feedback in the How to Give High Quality Feedback post.

Your help in keeping feedback unrelated to the issue above regarding the Player vs Player Reward Track out of this focus thread is much appreciated!

Thank you for helping make New World the best game it can be!

See you in Aeternum!

1 Like

Hey there, heres some bow feedback:

If explosive arrow worked like poison/pen, the nerf to poison was well warranted.

But since it doesnt, the nerf to poison is wayy over the top.

Mind considering swapping explosive animation or reverting poison nerf?

Edit: Reverting pen nerf instead of reverting poison nerf would be acceptable as well.

8 Likes

Explosive arrow has the same wind-up animation as splinter shot did. It feels more like a self-root considering how long it is. Increasing the animation speed or making the functionality similar to poison arrow/penetrating shot would be better.

7 Likes

Finish still feels clunky and like not registering hit most of the time, it now aiming in target, but still, after hit it looks like there some few frames before hit will be “counted” so target easy can dodge or run away with no dmg and no stagger

1 Like

Hatchet

Can Social Distancing be given the same mechanics as BlunderBusses Net Shot? Sometimes you don’t want to go backwards 10meters, just like net shot.

6 Likes

Reposting this here, as I made the original post in the Summer PTR Bug Report thread.

• What is your character name in the PTR: Suzutai PTR
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing:
  1. Apparently, this was a typo in the Patch Notes that has since been fixed Mortal Power skill does not increase speed of the Infected Throw, as described in the Patch Notes
  2. Infected Throw does not Weaken, even if you hit them directly
  3. Blocking no longer fully cancels the hop backward for Social Distancing
  4. Light attacks, heavy attacks, Feral Rush, and Raging Torrent trigger Fortifying Strikes; Aimed Throw, Rending Throw, Social Distancing, and Infected Throw do not
  5. Hurling Force damage seems lower than intended. I am seeing only 10% more damage.
  6. If you dodge after doing an Aimed Throw and then immediately LMB while holding down RMB, you will do a melee attack instead of another Aimed Throw
  7. If you do three light attacks and then an UNCHARGED heavy attack, it forces you into a light attack instead
  • Is this a bug or an exploit: These are bugs
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: These bugs pertain to Hatchet gameplay
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: No
3 Likes

This wording is confusing, what does recharge mean?

• Refreshing Divine Embrace: Fixed a bug that causes this not to function and added a bonus effect, now grants 12…41…69% recharge and 1…3.5…5.8% mana when triggered.

Slow movement after Tactical Reload is still in the PTR, can we fix?

Here to also throw the feedback of explosive shot needs to fire like pen shot/poison shot

4 Likes

Bow Feedback

Pros:

• Rapid changes and perk buff are very nice and make the skill viable and strong
  • Allowing dodge after auto attack even with the ADS exit slow is huge, thank you
  • Adding skill cooldown to evade shot perk is a great buff

Cons:

• Removal of stagger from pen shot is unwarranted, bow have very little CC and the stagger was a massive part of how to use bow correctly in different situations. now our only CC thats instant is evade shot and that has a very long wind up animation that you can pulled out of by a ton of things during a fight.
  • New explosive arrow skill is very underwhelming, its slow cast time and slow projectile speed make it impossible to hit reliably unless the target is stunned or rooted. If the animation stays how it is then the damage needs to be increase considerably to account for this so it’s rewarding. Preferably the animation be changed so it can be used more freely in combat like the other bow skills.
  • Poison shot direct hit was over performing in my opinion so a nerf is warranted, however after testing the skill the 100% damage value doesn’t seem worth the risk of missing the shot and not applying the dot, this is because a light attack does more damage. I think splitting the difference would be the sweet spot giving it a 125% damage value. If the skill remains as it is currently i don’t believe it will be used at all in the burst meta we currently have
15 Likes

“We’ve reworked how consumables work in 3v3 Arenas. Instead of granting players consumables upon joining each match, players are now able to bring their own consumables.”

Guys, I don’t know any other game that allows players to use consumables in arena due to balancing issues. Now you give free reign to players that want to use them?

I really hope you are not including gemstone dust and other consumables that are plain broken in small fights. The only consumable players should be allowed to use in arena is attribute food. Fighting a healer with HP and mana pots is just dumb. No mana management and while their spells are on CD they get back to full hp with potions.

2 Likes

i get that bow is strong at the moment and something needs to be affected but at least work on the explosive arrow animation to be something like poison shot or penetrating shot, for real. I don’t mind the damage, you can take it down a little , remove the burning i don’t know.

But please don’t let it go live with that clunky animation. after the last update bow is so fun to play and some changes like rapid shot is increasing the fluidity of the weapon. Explosive shot in the other hand simply sucks, even the way you aim with it feels strange and odd.

I’m not saying its a weak hability or whatever, but the animation will make it so it’s impossible to use in a 1v1 scenario, everyone can just dodge that because they know for ages that its coming, not to mention that you can also miss the shot, making it a bad ability overall.

i guess thats all. some changes were good, like rapid shot cancel and i don’t mind too much the removal of pen shot stagger, but you guys kinda destroyed poison since dots aren’t really effective in this game because of healers. So all i ask is to work on the explosive arrow animation.

2 Likes

Removing the Stagger from Bow feels so much better. As a mage is was terrible having you ability interrupted (most notably ice shower) from miles away mid-cast.

No CC ability should have that much range.

Just mentioning that Path of Density is just as annoying here.

3 Likes

Thing is many things feels terrible to the ones getting hit by it because that’s what pvp stand for. i don’t enjoy getting hit by the hammer stun because i know i’m gonna eat a full combo that will take 90% of my health.

i don’t enjoy getting hit by sword leaping strike because it will lead to another stun and maybe a feral rush (SnS hatchet). I certainly don’t like to be hit by ice shower nor heavy freeze from ice gauntled because i’ll have to sacrifice all my dodges.

My point is, all forms of cc feel terrible to the ones that are affected by it, yet they’re necessary.

And before someone says that those cc are melee… Thats why pen shot was only a stagger and the rest of them are roots and stuns, as for the “just have to dodge” comentary, PENETRATING SHOT can also be dodged.

4 Likes

These consumables are not consumed on use, so players are able to use them as they wish without worrying about the cost associated with the consumable.

Maybe continue reading the text, may give you an answer yourself.

Yes, I understand that, but they didn’t specify if the consumable restrictions will change

1 Like

Explosive Arrow is very underwhelming… I liked Scatter shot more, the wind up makes no sense, it has less potential damage than scatter shot which isnt really used by many anyway except in PvE if your looking to kill bosses quick.

When I originally heart the split stat buff I thought the devs were saying that weapons who’s damage is based off of more than 1 attribute were getting a small buff – why are we just buffing certain equipments to have a higher attribute?

3 Likes

BTW I think Everyones Azoth staff disappeared when they logged

1 Like
  • Empowering Rupture: increased empower 10…31…49% also increased the duration from 5s to 10s and now triggers when the target dies for any reason.

I like rupture a lot, but can the target death functionality be shifted into the base kit please??? The overflowing essence proc still does not work on target death… which is not good.

• Slowing Tether: increased slow effectiveness 20…31…40% while on a void gauntlet.

I did not mess with Tether, nor saw any changes to it besides the perk, but it would be nice to have Tether persist after weapon swap. Otherwise, the applicability and usage feels nonnegotiable.

Infected Throw debuffs fall off once the cloud disappears for some reason (not good) and as Suzutai mentioned, the weakness is not being applied to targets either. Debuffs need to persist and apply correctly. Thank you.

Edit: Under Rending Throw, Targeted Impact does not appear to be all that worthwhile seeing as to how low the cooldown on RT is in comparison with its debuff length especially when paired with the Persistent Hindrance keystone. Second Wind is somewhat suspect too, but it gets a pass since multiple target applicability works better in that case as opposed to lengthening debuff durations. On Fire also feels out of place/outdated considering how hatchets headshot off the rip (good change) and one can get about 40% crit chance from 50 Dex Perk, Hatchet Innate Crit, Critical Throw, Keen, and Keen Awareness. Hatchet throwing feels fluid for the most part, but some things still deserve to be tweeked. :wink:

1 Like

BOW feedback:

Explosive arrow:

It looks promising but needs work, I am happy that splinter shot was reworked but there are some issues.

The hit box is finicky and so is its general alignment, use the animation for Poison arrow instead the splinter shot animation doesn’t have good camera angles or the ability to aim the shot well.

The AOE range, visual and audio effects need work, the audio just needs to be louder on the attack, the hit box seems very tight despite being a 2.5m AOE it feels like its still a single target attack maybe a 3.5m-4.5m range would make it feel more like an AOE. Consider a knockdown passive, just something that could be cool.

Penetrating shot:

Removing the stagger from penetrating shot is an odd choice as high skill cap players use it to disrupt enemy attacks and help protect team mates. It is also understandable that penetrating shot is very powerful and players can lean on this too heavily. It is also still a major issue that the perk refreshing penetrating shot only works on kills and not on hit. Even on the main weapon it only is 25% cooldown reduction for a kill. To make this more worthwhile for players and make it a perk worth grabbing consider making it 20-25% cooldown on landing 1 single hit or 14% per hit on multiple targets max can be 2-3 targets (reduce values for armor perks).

With the stagger removed it should be argued that a minor global cooldown reduction would be considerate with a rework to the craft mod that is one of the most neglected for bow players.

Poison shot:

Rework enfeebling poison shot perk to spread disease, instead of weaken. There is a lot of healing in this game and archers can fill an odd utility roll. The disease doesn’t even need to be strong a 10% disease that spreads with the poison cloud not on hit would be grabbed by players often. Even with the direct damage nerf this would be a very worthwhile skill.

As much as I don’t like some of the changes I can also agree they are fair 150% damage reduction to poison arrow direct attack is fair, Removing stagger from penetrating shot can be fair granted the craft mod is reworked and the overall cooldown is shortened by 2sec, it lost its CC so it should be treated more like a standard DPS ability.

I think the approach to balancing the bow is making sense to me, but there are some issues with counter play the bow can help fill. I think AGS is really close to having the bow dialed in, but there is still some work to be done.

Edit: to also help make up for the change to penetrating shot consider making the animation faster for evade shot and add I frames to the initial jump.

Double edit: Add more AOE damage to poison shot in place of direct damage nerf.

6 Likes