[Focus Feedback & Bug Reporting] Global Expedition Enhancements & QoL

Greetings Adventurers,

With this PTR release, we’re rolling out a series of additional quality-of-life improvements that should make your time in the new Barnacles & Black Powder expedition (and more) that more worthwhile!

Expedition Group Finder (Same World)

Finding a group to run expeditions with while solo isn’t always easy when you need to ask through Chat. So we are excited to release our first version of the Group Finder tool for expeditions! With this feature, you’ll be able to access a specific Group Finder for each expedition (accessed through expedition entrance UI or related expedition map icons), browse listings created by other players, or post your own request. The tool allows players to declare their preferred team role — such as DPS, Tank, or Healer — and recruit based on those roles. You can also set minimum Gear Score and Level, then inspect members to learn their average GS, weapons, and mastery levels.

Expedition Tuning Orb Removal

In this update, we’ve removed Expedition Turning Orbs and replaced them with daily limits for Normal and Weekly mutated expedition runs to make all expeditions easier to access. This new system features:

• 15 Normal Expedition Runs per player per day or 105 per week, per player.
  • 20 Mutated Expedition Runs per week.

For concerned players, this is how we plan on introducing it after the PTR:

In order to honor the value you’ve put into acquiring existing Tuning Orbs, any orbs in your inventory upon the update will be replaced with caches that give loot appropriate for their expedition. While you won’t get a full run’s worth of coin and drops, the rolls will include boss drops for weapons and armor in addition to opportunities for Expertise bumps.

• For Normal expeditions, caches will reward a roll from the sub-boss and main boss found in that specific expedition, and grant coin equal to 50% the cost previously associated with buying that specific type of orb from the Faction Shop.
  • For Mutated expeditions, caches will reward 4 boss rolls off the final boss of 4 eligible mutators, and coin equal to 50% the cost previously associated with buying that specific type of orb from the Faction Shop.

More details can be found within the release notes.

Loot Rebalance

With the accessibility changes to expeditions, we’ve moved roughly 80% of coin generated from expedition bosses and have instead spread it out to coin drops from elite chests and darkness breaches completion bonuses to help compensate for the reduction. Twice a day, players can loot elite chests in the open world or complete minor and major darkness breaches to earn a bag of coins. Each bag contains 500 coins.

Along with that, we have introduced a new method to help the player overcome the randomness of Expedition Loot. Materia is a new type of resource , Materia, that can be used to craft your desired drop. There are two ways to obtain this resource. Any named item obtained from an expedition can now be salvaged into Materia of its corresponding expedition type (Amrine Materia, Depths Materia etc.). The player will also receive Materia when defeating the main boss of an expedition.

Mutator Loot Shift

We’ve shifted the difficulty levels at which loot unlocks. The system was originally intended to give players a sense of rewarding progression as they play through the different difficulty levels — which it did accomplish — but the lower levels didn’t feel particularly good due to sparse rewards. We’ve therefore changed what items unlock at which difficulty level, which should result in a wider variety of lower level rewards. No loot has been removed, as specific items have shifted to unlock at different brackets and in certain groups.

We’ve also added another accessory to each mutator. Previously, each mutator dropped 2 of the 3 types of accessory. Now every mutator can drop all available types.

Please let us know how you enjoyed these changes on the PTR! In particular, due to the complex nature of these adjustments and new systems, we’re especially keen on feedback relating to overall sense of balance and fairness, level of work/reward, and any potential technical issues such as gameplay bugs, exploits, or client stability/performance problems.

Thank you for your insight and valuable input during our early build preview phase!

If you are experiencing a bug, please utilize the following template:

• What is your character name in the PTR:
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on:
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing:
  • Is this a bug or an exploit:
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay:
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue:
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced:
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:

You can find resources on how to leave good feedback in the How to Give High Quality Feedback post.

Your help in keeping feedback unrelated to the issue above regarding the Player vs Player Reward Track out of this focus thread is much appreciated!

Thank you for helping make New World the best game it can be!

See you in Aeternum!

80% gold reduction is too steep. People wont want to respec to fill tank healer rolls and expeditions will be far less rewarding.

Im fine with the gold being reduced but 80% is a bit extreme imo

Thanks

6 Likes

Expeditions are one of the best moneymakers, allowing returning or newer players to catch up a lot financially, especially comboed with the faction dailies. Reducing it by 80% while giving out only 1k coins from chests/breaches makes zero sense - I make 1k+ off of one dungeon.

An orb costs 450 gold. Spread that out over five people and it’s nothing. I don’t think it needs to be reduced at all; let people be rewarded for running content.

5 Likes

I think that the 80% cut of gold is too much. Its ok to nerf this, but cut something like 20%. Not more. Cuz expeditions must reward the players.

1 Like

I would have preferred an orb cache that also had equal gold (as comparable to faction shop), maybe 75%. It doesnt seem bad, but for someone who has 100+ orbs it does add up.

The conversion of the dungeon cores (Genesis, Laz, etc). where very high end “expensive” mats are needed to create should be proportional respective to the costs of something cheap to make like an Amrine core.

I love the mutator shift where at lower levels you have a chance of getting some of the better quality loot now, it will definitely help those starting off or in the beginning of their mutator progression.

2 Likes

The mutation orb caches do not appear to have Mutated Depths included in the loot pool. I know you stated “Of 4 eligible mutators” but I feel like Depths should be included as the July patch will have Barnacles which a lot of people will focus to.

I cycled and logged through a few hundred caches and only received items from Genesis, Lazarus, Dynasty, and Tempest.

1 Like

I think there is it a good topic to write about it. You changed on the market perk filters - described perks, can be good, for players who don’t know about all the perks, but I think everyone want one thing… search bar for perks, please!

1 Like

For many, the best content is the DGs, limiting the entry to 20 weekly I believe to be problematic. Let’s think…
If my friend goes down because of his internet, won’t I be able to ask another for help without him losing his entry?
If he comes back then it was a lost entry for him as it was necessary to remove him from the group.
Apart from other things it impacts.
For me, it would be better to spend the entry of just the player who opens the expedition than the entire group.

1 Like

Is it really a redistribution of gold or a reduction of gold? Personally, I think it is a reduction of gold, not a redistribution. When doing the math of how much gold you received from the level 60 dungeons from a player doing one to five dungeons per day, players only receive more gold when they complete only one dungeon per day.

288 * 3 = 864 per dungeon run currentsly
80% coin reduction = less 230 coins per dungeon
(58 gold per boss)
Dungeons Current PTR max lost Total Gain or
Per Day Gold Coins sacks/day Gold Loss/Gold
1 864 174 1000 1174 310
2 1728 348 1000 1348 -380
3 2592 522 1000 1522 -1070
4 3456 696 1000 1696 -1760
5 4320 870 1000 1870 -2450

I do not know about every server but on my current server, the cost to complete a dungeon is far greater than the rewards if this change goes through.

Honing Stones, Coatings, Health, and Health Regen, as well as Mana potions all cost gold. (Not everyone buys these items and some (health/mana) drop frequently enough the cost of these items may not need to be taken into consideration. But these are costs the devs should take into consideration.

This deincentive’s doing more than one dungeon per day. This is the new form of gating us.

I do not enjoy the big chest runs or portal runs, the massive zerg machine this game thrives upon is just toxic to me, for the most part I do not do these, with only a 10% drop on lower portals which can be solo’d well let’s say I really do not plan on wasting my time.

What do you all think, once the math as been done?

10 Likes

I already lose money on dungeons because I use all those things plus use about 1500 gold worth of arrows per dungeon

I always use coatings and honing stones in dungeons, and sometimes I respec. Food, as well. Respecing to a PvE spec back to a PvP spec is 400 gold alone. Great points.

Leave well enough alone. Orbs are basically free now; honestly, I think in their current state, regular orbs are fine (but mutated should be purchasable daily). If you’re going to remove them, just keep the gold the same. Removing it only hurts newer or returning players, and irritates vets.

1 Like

I would be some of those who wont respec to help other random groups if this Change happens.
As of right now on Live, if i have some time to spare, i’d respec to help Others because i know i can regain those costs with the Dungeon itself.

1 Like

exactly! also the things you can craft instead of the orbs that give dungeon drops would mean some people will just do that instead of running dungeons especially if the gold is reduced this much.

None of the Isabella armor pieces are available from Mutation caches. Other pieces from tempest mutation are available but not the unique boss Isabella set.

I’ve recreated characters about 10 times and had 500+ rolls on mutation caches with no Isabella armor dropping. I’ve had Isabella’s rapier, just not her armor. I’ve had pieces of Genesis’s Blighted Growth, Lazarus’s Chardis, and Dynasty’s Empress Zhou.

3 Likes

In another thread they said it would only drop mutation level 7 equivalent gear for the orb caches. You need to do M10’s to get Isabella gear.

You’re saying Isabella is the only mutation boss who’s gear is locked at m10?

You can get Gen/Laz/Dynasty sets from the caches

1 Like

Yes. Isabella’s gear has always been restricted to mutation level 10.

The other bosses, for some reason, will drop their sets at GS600+ if you are in mutation level 10, but their items are available at lower mutation levels.

1 Like

Along with that, we have introduced a new method to help the player overcome the randomness of Expedition Loot. Materia is a new type of resource , Materia, that can be used to craft your desired drop. There are two ways to obtain this resource. Any named item obtained from an expedition can now be salvaged into Materia of its corresponding expedition type (Amrine Materia, Depths Materia etc.). The player will also receive Materia when defeating the main boss of an expedition.

My Feedback on Materia:

1. The materia costs seem pretty steep to me. You get 100 materia for the boss of a dungeon, and you get 30 materia for salvaging a dungeon named item. If you averaged 3.3 named items that you didnt need per run, you would need to run, say, Genesis 25 times to stockpile enough materia to buy an Infamy (5000 materia). That seems like the only people who will benefit from this are the edge case players who fail to get their desired drop after multitudes of runs. Im not sure what a good number would be, maybe 3000?
  2. Its strange that Materia costs are different for different items. Why is dooms chance 3000 materia when Infamy is 5000? Why does the Sagacious shirt cost 4000 materia and the Sagacious shoes cost 3500? It seems like its weight based, but since these are just “named items” it doesnt make any sense for some to be cheaper, and some to be more expensive.
  3. Materia should be available for the mutated versions of loot of mutated dungeons. There are no player use cases for stockpiling enough depths or dynasty materia to craft low level named items. It’s impossible to run those dungeons enough times to get enough materia together without leveling all the way to 60 in the process, thus obviating the need for any lower level named items. If Im running dynasty mutations trying to get accursed end, I do not want to spend that materia to craft a gs500 version of that. Same with Depths, and the eventual mutations for starstone/amrine if that ever happens.

Associated with this Materia changes is this change:

• For Mutated expeditions, caches will reward 4 boss rolls off the final boss of 4 eligible mutators, and coin equal to 50% the cost previously associated with buying that specific type of orb from the Faction Shop.

So, there are 5 mutators now, and we are not awarded dynasty materia in these crates. As I said above in #3, we should be eligible to receive items from all mutators, and we should be rewarded materia for all dungeons, and be able to use that materia to craft the one item we didnt receive.

5 Likes

I’m not a M10 runner, but if I were I wouldn’t like this change. No limits would be better but if for some reason the team wants to go ahead with them, I think a better approach would be to be 20 (or 25) Mutated Runs per week per mutation level.

That would be 250 mutated runs per player, but only 25 at optimal M10. That way people can play as long as they want, they can help their friends at lower mutation, and most umbral shards and good loot are still gated behind the twentysh limit devs want.

5 Likes