[Focus Feedback & Bug Reporting] New Weapon: The Greatsword

Greetings Adventurers,

Have you ever dreamed of taking life by both hands? Has someone ever told you that you miss the swings you never take? Well, with this PTR release we’re introducing a new weapon: the mighty two-handed Greatsword!

Greatsword Weapon

Get ready for a new weapon — the Greatsword. This two-handed blade utilizes stances to adapt to different situations. Learn the risks and rewards of each option to survive in battle. Both Weapon Skill Trees feature versatile tactics for varied playstyles:

• The Onslaught tree embodies relentless offense and focuses on defeating enemies before they can take you out.
  • The Defiance tree excels at aggressive defense that can survive and deal damage against multiple opponents.

The Greatsword scales evenly with Strength and Dexterity, making it a good pair for many other martial weapons.

Please let us know how you enjoyed this piece of content on the PTR! In particular, we’re especially keen on feedback relating to its overall sense of fun and engagement, combat balance in both Player vs Player and Player vs Environment scenarios, potential for customization and interesting builds, and any related technical issues or gameplay bugs.

Thank you for your insight and valuable input during our early build preview phase!

If you are experiencing a bug, please utilize the following template:

• What is your character name in the PTR:
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on:
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing:
  • Is this a bug or an exploit:
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay:
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue:
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced:
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:
  • What was your RTT / Input Latency?

You can find resources on how to leave good feedback in the How to Give High Quality Feedback post.

Your help in keeping feedback unrelated to the issue above regarding the Player vs Player Reward Track out of this focus thread is much appreciated!

Thank you for helping make New World the best game it can be!

See you in Aeternum!

3 Likes

First off good job on the great sword it is awesome just one thing that was bothering me about it is that it hangs off the back on the right side and clips the other 2 handed weapons and magic staves could the Great sword hang off the left shoulder so not to clip the other 2 handed weapons and magic staves . I seen that it was in line with both the life staff and the fire staff as it completely covered them both so you cannot see them on your back with the great sword equipped.

5 Likes

Feedback So far:

When i see the attacks Mini bosses with swords have, Supply Guards and Myrk Commanders i was Very Very Very disappointed when i saw we get NONE of these :frowning:

But feedback anyway…

Great Sword Starting Handling Position (Japanese Two hand holding pattern) is wrong for this Bulky blade it needs to be From the Right hand Hilt to the Back Blade touching the ground as you see it after using a Skill from the left Tree

Note: The arching of the back has to be fixed and the running while in Onslaught looks Very wierd

Relentless Rush needs 3 Rotations/Attacks to give it more Distance Currently the distance it covers is very Short

Crosscut needs animation spead up by 25-50%

Skyward Slash needs to have 3 attacks to make it more “something”… so far its VERY lackluster (Tempest Dungeon mini Boss just before Neshitan does a similar attack but its 3 attacks)

1: Upper Strike
2: Overhead Strike
3: Ground Strike/Aoe Strike

Animation Colour seems odd

Note: Colour animation for R/R and C/C is Light green almost Cyan/Teal But S/S is White, Suggest All on left be changed to Blood Red and all on the Right be changed to Dark Blue

Example 1:

Example 2:

Tanking Side:

Please get rid of 3 second buffs make them 5/8 seconds throughout

1 Block is fine Damage and Stagger

2 Blocks should be Damage + Knockback

3 blocks Should be Damage and Stun imho to make this more viable

Weakness part could use a slight boost to 15-20%

Defiance Stance should be pull or Stun
Onslaught Should be a Root or Stun

Can you please Clarify the parts in red does this mean it has +50% Critical Chance ?

on top of what ever Crit you have ?

Clarify which buffs affect this as Apart from the Stances (10 seconds), and one 3 second fortify i’m not sure HOW we could get 3 buffs together? realistically it would be better to change it to for each buff on the Target

Note:

Heavy Attack Pattern seems out of Order

Starting animation shows :

As if its Going to Swing Right to left but it instead does an Overhead Swing

Pattern Really Should be

1:

2:

3: has the correct Finish

Thats me done with my feedback thanks

12 Likes

So this is just my take about great sword, everything I say is mainly for PVE as I only focus on that and rarely pvp, even if I do I only do OPR to run it down for the gypsum as I have no gear for it.

I spam M10 often, sometimes even try to speed run.I feel like UNRELENTING ONSLAUGHT
should be swapped with UNDYING DEFIANCE in the ultimate perk of the skill tree.
a

Because as a tank (my self), I rarely feel the need to life steal as the healer always prioritise me over dps, which leave dps who cannot dodge vulnerable, with the life steal they can easily get back on their feet rather than constant wipe ( random matching groups are quite meh)
Tank are reliant on spamming taunt to keep the groups alive, life steal feel so unnecessary to me. But who knows, maybe amazon you guys know better than I do!
This is my opinion, please tell me what do you guys think?

2 Likes

The weapon seems really big and thick, even in comparison with great axe or war hammer.

I like the idea that it is the big weapon, but now it reminds me more of the asian style mmorpg, so maybe reducing it slightly would improve the desing.

I know some people might like it bigger, so it’s just my personal preference, maybe more people will agree, maybe not.

Also, I don’t know how it looks on higher levels with different models and skins, so on live servers the right model would resolve my problem and make my comment invalid lol.

20 Likes

Hey!
I really like the gameplay of the greatsword but it’s waaayyy to big. Please scale it down, it doesn’t look good.

18 Likes

aww man I love it ! its supposed to be that big… its looks awesome :smiley: but needs way better Skins REALLY hope they give us new skins and flame effects with Brimstone

1 Like

I think they took great sword as great “blade”

I agree that the model of the greatsword is a bit “Lost Ark-ish” :slight_smile:, in my opinion it’s too large and thick, it visibly clips with a lot of things, like the right elbow when running, the sheated rapier, even low ceilings when unsheated and held high. Also, it seems to me that using Onslaught skills doesn’t apply the stance effect on myself. I don’t see any buffs on the UI and for instance I don’t seem to consume stamina for heavy attack. It changes the way the greatsword is wielded however (on the right, pointing back and down), as to suggest the character is in a different stance indeed. This pose is kept indefinitely until the weapon is sheated, the it goes back to the “default” pose, weapon pointing straight up.

5 Likes

Seriously, the first greatsword you get is way too big. Humongous. The movements remind me of Asian grinders more than of anything halfway realistic or whatever you see in other more western games. It turned me off so badly that I stopped playing when I arrived in town.
I have complained before about the size of two-handed weapons, which fell on deaf ears and was only saved by a few skins from the shop. But the greatsword is a whole new level of ridiculous.

1 Like

Thanks for the greatsword, unfortunately it’s big, and I don’t like how it’s attached to my back and how I hold it in my hands while running, please change the animation so that the character holds the sword like in this picture, I think it will look much better.

17 Likes

Unless you didnt notice yet, the handling of every 2 handed weapon is wrong.

1 Like

I also agree that it is way too large for its design and purpose. It scales evenly with Str AND Dex, it should be large but not wide and bulky. My GA looks small in comparison. IRL claymores and such were wielded with a lot more finesse than most people think so I was pleased to see the scaling for it. But visibly, I imagine a lot of people (especially the new ones this update is catering to) will assume its a Str main weapon.

TLDR: Please reduce the size. Its a little ridiculous. :]

3 Likes

With the decent-looking models greataxes have by default, I was expecting something decent for the greatsword, but this reminds me of Final Fantasy or things like that. It feels very off. I was expecting something more like what we can see in Bannerlord, Mordhau or Chivalry 2. I’d appreciate if at least we then get a Prime or store skin that looks somewhat realistic, both in size and shape, like Fenrir’s Fury for greataxe.

Something like these:
greatsword1
greatsword2

11 Likes
  • What is your character name in the PTR:

Beldanthor

• What server/world did you experience your issue on:

Eu PTR

• Describe the issue you are experiencing:

the Skill Skyward slash suppose to add 1 rend additional if we are on onslaught stance. But don’t

• Is this a bug or an exploit:

Bug

• (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay:

reduce damage

everywhere

I attack any mob and with crosscut to be in Onslaught Stance and do Skyard slash after

• What is your character name in the PTR: Saintzin
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: US East PTR
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: Offense ultimate light attacks cooldown reduction is really low. Since its a really slow weapon 2% per auto is really low, 10% for heavy attacks is fine but 2% for light is like nothing since this weapon takes too long to attack
  • Is this a bug or an exploit: no
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: not really worth passive
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced:
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:

Also i feel like crosscut is really slow. If you dont buff any kind of faster windup animations in this weapon it will not have that much of value on pvp

1 Like

So far I’m having fun with the great sword, and I’m glad to have more tools as a tank. That said, the greatsword is waaaayyyyy too big. It being twice as thick as a car door really removes any feeling that it has a blade on it at all, and it clips into everything. It’d be cool if we could find a way to make it agree with the shield. I think most of the end game variants of weapons look silly and lose their cool grounded-ness, but this design is way too silly.

Maybe I set my hopes too high that it would be something knightly like the concept art version.

The animations all around are just weird and mismatched for the weapon too. Needs a largish visual rework.

8 Likes

The Defiance Tree perk “Adaptive Rupture” should be modified to pull towards you no matter what stance you are in or even if you aren’t in a stance. It is actively bad to use the ability in Defiant Stance which is very weird?

The stances having a time limit seems very clunky. It would probably be much better if the stances were just permanent until you went into the other one. Could even lower the strength of the stances for this.

1 Like

Love the look and feel of Greatsword.

Can something be done about the clipping though such as Greatsword cutting through a shield when both are on back, rather than layered.

1 Like

I like the size. It looks and feels like Souls games ultra greatswords. It deals and takes heavy damage. Windups are slow but the release is quick. Onslaught charged heavies are cool and I like the tradeoff on stamina. Would be more satisfying if regular attacks could stagger enemies but that’s not New World.

Need more time to evaluate skill tree. I want to find a dps stance dance build.

Overall pleased and excited to play with it more

3 Likes