[Focus Feedback & Bug Reporting] Revamped Starting Experience

Greetings Adventurers,

Think you know Aeternum? When have you last visited Monarch’s Bluffs or Everfall? Have you heard of the Legacy of King Arthur? Well, time moves a little funny when death doesn’t quite bother you as it used to… or maybe it’s just that kids have it nicer now-a-days, no longer needing to run up and down hills to talk to your old man Yonas…

Revamped Starting Experience

We’ve completely redesigned the early levels of New World , so players who start the game or roll a new character will experience brand new stories and quests. Player feedback on quest variety, AI variety, more streamlined questlines with less running back and forth, and improved storytelling in those early stages of the game helped bring about the following changes:

• Quest flow through zones has been optimized, with NPCs who move around, and a central story thread that takes players through each region of the game, unlocking side content to pace out the experience.
  • We’ve added a variety of new dynamic quests, from wave events to tracking and traversal challenges, puzzles in the ruins, unique interactions with the world, and dynamic events players will encounter.
  • We’ve revised onboarding to stay focused on the central storyline, introducing the legacy of King Arthur in Monarch’s Bluffs and a curse and famine from the sorceress Medea in Windsward. Players will still converge on the Hermit Yonas to start on the path to becoming Soulwardens, but the Yonas quests have all been consolidated in Everfall. The Hermit himself is now more mobile, while the story and quest flow vastly improved.
  • We’ve also added a lot more NPCs to the zones and settlements in Monarch’s Bluffs and Everfall, new enemies, new major locations, and new challenges in the quests and open world.

Please let us know how you enjoyed these changes on the PTR! In particular, due to the complex nature of these adjustments and new systems, we’re especially keen on feedback relating to overall sense of direction, purpose, exploration, and fun. Additional feedback on balance/difficulty, technical issues gameplay bugs, exploits, or client stability/performance problems is also appreciated.

Further questions that we would also love you to answer. Please feel free to copy and paste this section in your reply:

• What are the top 3 positive moments you remember?
  • What was the most negative moment/experience you encountered?
  • Do you understand the story beats? Is the new storytelling compelling?
  • Do you feel like there is a clearly directed path to follow? Do you understand what to do next ?
  • What parts of the starting experience are still too difficult or confusing?
  • Do you feel that content variety (quests/activities/enemies/etc.) is sufficient within this new experience
  • Do you feel like the questing experience is still a “walking simulator” or has quest flow improved?
  • Was it very obvious that joining a Faction was part of a side-quest?
  • Did you like the new Faction initiation quests?

Thank you for your insight and valuable input during our early build preview phase!

If you are experiencing a bug, please utilize the following template:

• What is your character name in the PTR:
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on:
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing:
  • Is this a bug or an exploit:
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay:
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue:
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced:
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:
  • What was your RTT / Input Latency?

You can find resources on how to leave good feedback in the How to Give High Quality Feedback post.

Your help in keeping feedback unrelated to the issue above regarding the Player vs Player Reward Track out of this focus thread is much appreciated!

Thank you for helping make New World the best game it can be!

See you in Aeternum!

7 Likes

glowing ball, light fountain, interactive circle and big yellow sign, what is missing is kitchen sink and Christmas lights :slight_smile:
we get it, it’s a quest item :slight_smile:

the big yellow numbers above quest items are very helpful, but they are so much into your face that it breaks immersion, a slightly faded sign would do just fine

the yellow signs could fade a little when reaching higher levels, good idea, amzing attitude to help out, just please tone it dwon :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Mob density is an issue for a lot of quests in monarch’s bluffs. The Teyrnon Keep quests take 10-15 minutes just waiting for mobs to spawn at the 3 points, and if you miss the spawn by 2 seconds good luck - it’s already dead. Not really a fun experience.

The barrels that you have to blow up at multiple POIs are another example. Why can’t they be persistent and complete the quest when you interact with them, like the truffles you gather on your way to the city for the first time?

Also, idk if this is a bug or not, but I opened a lot of loot chests a long the way and got 0 loot from some of them. I feel like a loot chest should always drop at least something. Feels pointless putting a chest at the end of the maze, for example, and having it drop literally nothing. Like why is it even there at that point?

5 Likes

Quest in Monarchs starting called “with good grace” needs a rework/better quest explanation.

It tells you to visit storage shed and “lighten your load”. I tried to drop all my inventory loot in the shed but it didnt work. I then asked in global and got told to drop absolutely everything I had on me or equipped. That includes bullets, arrows, amulet, equipped tools, potions, food. I feel this is way to much and your inventory loot + weapons/armor should be good enough.

OR the quest description has to be more clear that you need to drop every single item your character has obtained or equipped. But again, having to move every single item just to demo the storage shed is a little bit to much in my mind

3 Likes

Need a option to turn on/off the quest markers. Make it obvious for those who want to, and hidden for those who dont.
To apply to all quest karker, even on the map. As a 60 or even a 45, i dont want to see marker on my map for the rest of the game. If I need it, i would turn it on.

13 Likes

A Pirate’s Plan - the best quest so far, cool ambience, surprise and cool effects, gj

it was fun

5 Likes

in main town there is floating paper next to storage, magic

3 Likes

when you have to destroy barrels and boat, would be cool if the “health” bar of those objects was bigger, so it feels like you put effort to destroy it

1 Like

Texture rendering issues in Monarchs bluff. All settings on High, uncapped fps, 2560x1440
Eu PTR, user: AdrianPTR

2 Likes

What will happen to people’s house decorations in the towns that got a revamp? some of the layouts have changed. will all our stuff be removed?

5 Likes
  • What is your character name in the PTR: TheEngoPTR
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: EU PTR
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: Logging out to the main menu and back in causes map markers for quests to no longer be present
  • Is this a bug or an exploit: Bug
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: Harder to locate NPCs solely reliant on the Quest description + Compass
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: Restarting the client completely has helped.
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced:
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: Menu → Exit to Main Menu
4 Likes

I implore anyone wanting to help with this testing take the time and walk through the dialogues. Yes you can quick click through this but you loose a lot of the back story and immersion of the game. I only got to play for about 2 hours today but wanted to drop some feedback as the new character experience was what I was concentrating on. Here are some things I noticed.

I really like the new animations of the NPCs including the near perfect lip-sync with their vocals. One thing I noticed that is a problem, when you accomplish a quest talking to a NPC the pop up message removed the NPC interaction screen and you have to restart the interaction.

The interjections of Isabella as the character progresses really impacts the immersion of the story, very nice addition. I hope this continues throughout the entire leveling process.

We need more player instanced quest interactions like the truffles as without them you have to wait for things to respawn. New players may not realize this and get stuck looking for a quest item/mob. I like the floating quest markers though it might be good to have them fade out as the player gets within ~5m of the location.

11 Likes
  • What is your character name in the PTR: Sophiexxx
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: EU Central
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: Stuck in main quest
  • Is this a bug or an exploit: bug
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: can’t follow the main quest line
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: no
9 Likes
  • What is your character name in the PTR: milkytest

• What server/world did you experience your issue on: US EAST 1

• Describe the issue you are experiencing: Cannot progress main story quest plans of the pestilent

• (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: I cannot progress past this story quest

• (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: NO I CANNOT RECOVER I AM STUCK lol

• What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: Attempt to complete this quest

1 Like

No bug, more an opinion…
The great swords look like big anchovies.
Maybe make them less silly and more menacing?

6 Likes

These are probably just the initial skins. I bet there are several versions for us to look at.

1 Like
  • What is your character name in the PTR:
    Azure Dragon

• What server/world did you experience your issue on:
    NA PTR

• Describe the issue you are experiencing:
    Quest milestones for multipart quests are very inconsistent for when they complete
    EXAMPLE; in quest Fire Up the Forges had the following issues
    Failed twice to create the item (intended?) and then created longsword on 3rd attempt. When closed out of Forge menu the part ‘Access the Forge’ did not complete so quest did not move to next stage. Opened and closed Forge menu several times before it, seemingly randomly, registered that I had indeed used the forge. Similar experience with the gather and refine quest where it would not register that i had used the three stations even though I had and only completed when I had opened and closed the menu several times.

• Is this a bug or an exploit:
    Bug

• (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay:
    Time and confusion, especially if a brand new player

• (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue:
    yesm eventually registered

• What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:
    Do any multipart quest that has you interact with a station in addition to creating something in that station.

1 Like

I had the same issues

• What is your character name in the PTR: Uncle Larry
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: US East 1
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: No sound except character dialogue
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: I had no sound, and it was annoying
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: I restarted, checked files, then uninstalled and reinstalled, to no avail
  • (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced: No screenshot can represent no sound
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: Play the game. I don’t know what caused it, but it’s pervasive. Sound through the opening logos, but not UI interface sounds, no background music, and then no game sounds except character dialogue
2 Likes

I cant see the quest markers on the map

1 Like