Housing Tax - It's taxing to keep up with it

I agree. I crafted everything I could with my resources and sold what I had left. I plan to abandon the house and just say F-It. Like the poster above, I am stuck on a low pop server and I have a job/family so I can not devote 8 hours a day to try and make the money to pay the taxes. I am also not level 60 yet so doing the faction dailies only nets me about 30 gold at my current level.
Thanks to the crafting nerf and the housing tax, I am done with those aspects of the game.

2 Likes

lol buy a smaller house.

I understand the mechanic is meant to play together with the other settlement mechanics, and that setting taxes is meant to entice players to buy in a settlement, however, one you bought your house, you also tend to feel stuck as you can only abandon. It is these two factors put together - the weekly tax and on top the risk it might increase even further (!), then being unable to just move, the way you can move your crafting and trading to a cheaper place.

My first house has been a t4, because I thought it was smart to use the 1/2 price on a big home, so I did grind the standing - just to end with a property which has felt like a rock tied around my neck. I will be abandoning in favour of a t2, but it hurts to think I get nothing back, while same time the tax harrows me every week, and even with the first 3 daily factions quests giving 3 times the gold they state - it feels unrewarding and depressing.

I am 791 hours into the game, but I have played it casual, as in I went to explore, I did not race to cap, I did not level a particular crafting skill to 200 to get early bird benefits of selling for high prices. I just want to enjoy the game in a relaxed fashion, pve and pvp, not make my every move dependent on having to grind gold to pay my housing taxes, with no guarantee they won’t possibly rise through the roof. I can’t even imagine what it must be like for players with less time available. It forces a game style, where it should not.

4 Likes

Not an option, I need the storage space as I craft here and its where my mats I need are, I am very organised only having stuff I need but I still have a lot of it

I am not a house owner but fail to see benefit of owning if your just house poor to store a few more trinkets and reduce azoth costs which I don’t care about anyways.

The repair costs for gear have skyrocketed beyond any MMO I’ve seen. Think I spent 300+ gold and like 150 repair parts from one Depths run and I didn’t die. Aka we already work enough in real life and shouldn’t have to in a game we want to enjoy but these costs are discouraging.

You would hate my server (Xibabla, or something like that). A big company is taking over the towns one by one and maxing the taxes and other costs. Its driving folks away from the game and AGS does not seem to care.

1 Like

New Update: Housing Tax is lowered by 90% until Dec

1 Like

Yes, I have heard that from some other servers as well. On a high pop server, I’d say the mechanics can work, players will band together, rebel and so forth, but low pop servers are extremely vulnerable. Merges hopefully will aid, and on the long run, the housing tax might feel less of an issue, but this is early game and I believe it has contributed to players being driven away, even more so players who looked forward to housing in NW.

1 Like

Oh that’s a big relief. I just checked and it affected my elapsed tax as I was grinding the coins to buy t2, then abandon the t4.

I am very glad the devs have listened, because with all that’s gone wrong with the economy, this was needed to be revisited.

Big kuddos to the devs on this :+1: :gift_heart: and let’s wait and see how changes will affect future ingame income, and the taxes due to it.

yup, our team has had enough of the fracking you over aspect. i paid taxes twice in one week due to the server time lapse and cant sell any furnishings to get it right. Now they are treating it like real life and we will give the people a tax break so they seem to pay less and then the companies get richer. This is a unique aspect of the game to have towns controlled by factions but it is failing and part of the reason of economy failure. It is sad as the game had merit but with all the undocumented changes in 1.1 and this once more whimsical change to appease themselves. It was the final straw for our group. I dont spend 12 hours a day on weekends grinding chests and gold to find out they lowered the chest rewards, shut off the Beasts dropping quints and gold dumbdown to keep us poor. I may watch the dev notes for what little they put in and maybe a streamer to see what ones not on their payroll appease the game but way to many hidden changes for their pleasure yet to many visual issues. I wish them luck during the holidays cause they are going to need it. Too much bad press is out there that we asked three friends if they were picking up new world and the answer was "prob not, it is worse then WoW "

Did they hear me :hear_no_evil: !

1 Like

I think the main problem the game is seeing is that all these actually amazing mechanics are about a game which does not exist yet.

• Economy has to stabilize

• Dead servers taken care of

• Varying ways to gain gold have to be available, instead of pressing players into a limited amount of options/playstyles to achieve gold gain, ie new engaging content in the future

• In a year, players will have grinded the standing for tax relief, lowering their taxes considerably, but these are early days and a casual player wants to explore the map, which means a lot of time spent on running about, not necessarily focussing on gaining standing in their chosen territories, gathering to level their crafting and so forth - in a year all this will look and feel different

The game mechanics are designed for this game to be great once time has passed, but right now, definitely some of these mechanics feel cumbersome, frustrating, even depressing.

Btw, PWI had territory wars (still has, I’d say), and taxes did affect travelling costs, as far as I am aware, but one never really felt the impact, and there was no housing, and crafting was unaffected, as far as I recall. New World has taken the concept and expanded it, which I generally think is fantastic, but the game needs time to mature, and we are suffering through its birthing and teething pains in the meantime.

[quote="[Downtime] Addressing Various Issues 6:00 am PT, post:3, topic:585998"]
To address the recent issue regarding duplications and exploits, we have temporarily lowered the weekly housing taxes by 90% until our monthly December update.
[/quote]

Nice and needed change. Though that still doesn’t make me want to reinstall New World.

The taxes for three small houses is like 2 runs of starshine a week man.

The tax system is definitely broken. I can’t imagine the devs envisioned a game where every territory raised taxes on everything to nearly the maximum, and thought that would be a good thing for the players.

Two of the things my friends and I wanted out of NW was crafting and housing, especially since housing is rare in MMOs. Between the idiocy of the tax system, and the recent gutting of crafting XP, both of those particular parts of the game are pretty much out of reach. It’s too expensive, and time consuming, to farm thousands of materials, then waste time running to a remote corner of the map to refine things, then have to go somewhere else to craft them, just to reduce the costs of the taxes.

Something definitely needs to be done. The current system isn’t sustainable.

cant you get 600+ gold from an invasion from corrupted, should not be too big of a problem

Today invasions froze and kicked everyone out of the game, so no. This is also a HUGE incentive for companies to raise tax to 2% and get paid 20% (if it’s not bugged like some reported) leaving average players with 60% discount compared to 400% increase in profits to greedy territory owners.

O yea, i was thinking something was off, i was like bro time flies quickly, wtf is going on, it’s tax day already ? Did 5 days pass that fast ?

Invasions and wars on my server are… interesting. You join, get kicked, they invite you again, you get kicked then you CBA to participate. It’s a hot mess how people can kick you mid way through them therefore its not worth it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.