[Long]The frustration is gone now, final review

Now that I’ve quit playing the game and the frustration I felt that made me give away all my stuff and leave has faded, I feel like I can give an objective review of the game.

Pro:

–The battle system is quite literally the best I’ve ever experienced in an action rpg, it’s fast, fluid and fun. There are some drawbacks, but I will wait to list those in the cons section. Really, great job on the battle system, it’s pretty fabulous. If it functioned as intended I would give it a 8.5/10 (it loses points for the excessive stagger).

–The maps and visual designs are excellent. Everything looks very well done and polished. The maps are well thought out and arraigned nicely. The views can be breathtaking.

–Sound design is also excellent. It’s supremely satisfying to hear that sharp crack echo through the valley while mining. There are so many examples of brilliant sound design throughout the game, the sound designers did excellent work with this.

Con:

–The number one, most important and damaging con I can think of is the interaction with the public, from Amazon Games to it’s customers. This is honestly puzzling considering the stellar customer service Amazon provides in other sectors. Amazon Games on the other hand seems to try to offload their responsibility and accountability on the shoulders of their customers. Snarky replies to genuinely frustrated customers from both Devs and Mods on this forum. A brutally obvious lack of validation for player suggestions and desires. A few examples of the this are:
–How nearly every player I’ve heard talking about the balancing of the great axe (including great axe users) has expressed that it’s overtuned in comparison with the other weapons. That weapon recently got buffed… why?
–I’ve seen many many threads saying mobs have too much HP, spawn too quickly, or are too numerous. I have never, ever seen a thread about how they have too little HP, are too few or spawn too slow… ever. How does AGS respond? More mobs, more HP and more damage. This is entirely out of touch with the player base.
–People have consistently complained about the sheer amount of crafting materials needed to level up crafting skills, how does AGS respond to this? Triple the amount needed in some cases…
The list goes on and on and on and on… Amazon Is desperately out of touch with it’s player base. This is, imo, their BIGGEST failing.

–The game seems to be built on an unstable structure. You can’t fit a square peg in a round hole, but that seems to be what’s being attempted. I once made a action platformer fan game of River City ransom with RPG Maker, it was technically playable, but a buggy mess. There’s no fixing it because RPG Maker simply isn’t capable of making that type of game well, period. I suspect the same thing is happening with New World. It would explain why they fix one bug and create 5 others, or why they can’t seem to correct seemingly simple things. My hunch is that the foundation is bad and without changing that, the game is essentially not salvageable.

–The fantastic battle system is ruined by:
–HP bags. Having to hit a single trash mob 21 times (yes I counted) with maxed out gear is unreasonable and boooorrrrriiiing. (this count was taken BEFORE the HP increases…)
–BUGS. The weapons don’t work as intended, they sometimes miss when they clearly should be hitting, weapon switching doesn’t always work.
–Weapon imbalances.

–Luck gear is a terrible system. It makes finding good gear for your build boring and in most cases a moot point. Gear progression can be a major compelling force in getting players to log in and play everyday, but that potentially fabulous gear drive is destroyed by the current luck system.

–The trading post is wrong on so many levels. Linking them is a step in the right direction though. Trading stuff in game should be compelling and fun, not tedious and depressing. Right now it’s mostly tedious and depressing. The UI is terrible and needs major upgrades to be fun to use, the tax system is just annoying and completely unnecessary in a good game. And it’s a hopelessly buggy mess. Right now Global chat is the best trading post, and even without a UI it’s a better experience than the official in game trading post.

–Taxes, fees, money sinks, pittance in pay. Who’s idea was it to make most people in the game feel poor and struggling? In what universe is this fun? That’s real life…, people play games to escape that garbage. This whole system of a few people being rich and the rest struggling NEEDS. TO. GO. It’s too real…

–Gear drops suck and aren’t compelling. The HWM system is very very bad. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. Path of Exile does gear drops (partly due to stat modification systems) right, please consider being inspired by a great, fun system like POE. The one you have now, needs to be scrapped entirely it’s not fun, it’s not viable.

–Crafting isn’t fun and on top of that, it also isn’t rewarding. In order for crafting to be fun, the player needs to be able to make rewarding crafts at EVERY level of progression for a reasonable amount of time invested. This system doesn’t even come close, it’s miles off the mark.

–UI’s are visually appealing but not good for user experience or enjoyment. There’s simply no information for many crucial aspects of the game and in some cases when there is, it’s vague or very hard to find. Why don’t the potions tell you what percentage you heal? Why is it nearly impossible for me to find my baseline house tax price and discounts? Why aren’t faction quest rewards clarified? How about percentages on perks with damage bonuses, buffs or debuffs. Some have them, others don’t. The trade post UI is desperately bad, buying and selling filters don’t even match and you can’t search by enough significant criteria. You don’t know what you sold, when for how much, ext… so much more could go into this UI to make it good, right now it’s sad. Pretty, but sad… Also, please kill the high water mark system, but if you don’t where’s the UI showing players where they stand?

–Azoth. Do I need to say more? How better to suck the fun out of a game than by making it so players can’t do simple things like join up for a party because they don’t have enough Azoth. Fast travel needs to be completely overhauled. The current system destroys fun.

–Invasions are overtuned and also work to suck the fun out of the game. It just doesn’t feel good to work on upgrading towns just to have a bully system come and wreck things every few days. It’s demotivating and chips away at people resolve to continue playing. The invasions themselves are fun, the effect they have on the players and the unfair feeling of it, not fun at all.

–PVP kills aren’t done right. A player shouldn’t be able to deprive another player of a kill just by pressing E after they get knocked out. I think this is finally getting the attention it deserves with the new PVP quests. Also, during outpost rush and wars, players targeting skulls shouldn’t be able to “steal” the kills from the players dealing most or all of the damage.

–Invasions and wars, while a fun mechanic, will only ever be playable by a small minority of players. This game has very few things that are fun to do, why wall one of those things off with an elitist club type mentality? The game could be greatly improved if the bogus “Punishments” for losing these things were wiped out and they were made into a dungeon type event that people could choose to run for rewards, maybe daily’s? It’s a fun event, capitalize on that. (Don’t get me wrong, what happens AFTER a war or invasion is. not. fun… just the event itself)

–Storage is unnecessarily painful. Again, why make a mechanic that could be compelling, tedious? Just link all storage sheds, the current system is yet another thing that sucks fun out of the game. There are way too many examples of fun destroying mechanics in this game, wayyyy too many…

–No viable end game content. There are so many valid reasons why a player might need to or want to play solo, but this game is not for them, period.

There’s more, but this is all I will say for now. My previous comments and posts on the game came from a place of frustration and may not have been as objective as they could have been.

6 Likes

I think I’m with you. This is not for me. Too much like a FPS with quick kills and not enough MMO style. Not sure how else to explain it.

Taxes are crazy, repairs from doing dungeon runs are too expensive.

OpRs don’t pop enough to get gold as a reliable source.

I’ll still check the forums and see if anything has changed. This game was so fun in alpha and early beta. Makes me sad.

It’s very sad. I’m now reading about people getting banned for repeatedly asking for help with technical problems? Gosh I hope that’s not true.

The single most significant failure of this game is the customer service. So confused, I love shopping on Amazon and think their service is great, what is even happening here? lol

1 Like

Another thing to add to the con list:

–No viable end game solo content.

A couple more amendments

–Invasions and wars, while a fun mechanic, will only ever be playable by a small minority of players. This game has very few things that are fun to do, why wall one of those things off with an elitist club type mentality? The game could be greatly improved if the bogus “Punishments” for losing these things were wiped out and they were made into a dungeon type event that people could choose to run for rewards, maybe daily’s? It’s a fun event, capitalize on that. (Don’t get me wrong, what happens AFTER a war or invasion is. not. fun… just the event itself)

–Storage is unnecessarily painful. Again, why make a mechanic that could be compelling, tedious? Just link all storage sheds, the current system is yet another thing that sucks fun out of the game. There are way too many examples of fun destroying mechanics in this game, wayyyy too many…