Merge complainers, like, why?

I don’t know. I’ve read a lot of posts on this forum from people on dead servers requesting merges and a common complaint of theirs is that they don’t have upgraded stations and no town board quests on their dead server. There may be some small pop servers that are able to maintain them in a settlement, but would not think that is the norm.

I think it comes down to there being a difference between small dead servers and small active servers, and IMO one of the problems is that AGS didn’t take player engagement on the servers into consideration and are treating all small servers as if they’re the same. I 100% agree if the towns aren’t being upkept, nobody is posting town boards, and nobody is pushing to take over the dead territories to upkeep them, then those servers would only benefit from a merge. But there are also smaller servers that have upgraded towns, all 4 town board missions posted for each zone, win invasions, have the occasional war, and have 3v3s and normal/mutated dungeon runs on the regular.

New player looks at the population indicator in the game or on nw server status and finds out what server is the population they want.

no, no they dont, Im almost positive a new player wouldnt even know where to check these populations online because theyve never played the game. what you are describing is someone whose played the game previously or played similar games and know where to check server size and status. almost all servers have “Low” or “Med” on population size so thats not much of an indicator either.

1 Like

nothing a quick google: - new world server status - search cant solve and then its the 2nd option…

or google steam charts new world for overall population health

you put too much faith in new players who know nothing about the game, theres players who are lvl 60 who dont even know u can do this, what makes u think someone who just got the game would know, or care to find this? someone gets a new game with servers for the first time, I dont think their first thought is, “let me check if theres a third party website that shows every servers pop in detail”. thats something you and I might think about after playing this game, but not new players. Not a single person I started this game with had that thought, they just went, “El dorado is a cool name, but theres a queue, lets go to a no name server”

2 Likes

fair enough, having the hope that people use their brains is probably too much to ask :melting_face:

1 Like

it is, its the internet :\

1 Like

Since every server is differnt, some small ones were ok and were working cause the players took the effort to make it work.

Their complaints can be valid while also merging the small servers can also still be the best call for the games long term health. Both of these statements can be true at the same time.

Thus, in these situations, there is no way to make everyone happy.

true, I remember we had an awesome small but active community on midian and it was honestly the best time ive had on this game. But it wasnt going to last and no one wanted to be merged. a lot of the people I was playing with eventually started leaving the game before merges were announced, I woulda left too if they didnt do it sooner. a small server isnt very good for new players, and its not good for lvl 60 players in the long term.

The point is that not everyone likes large servers, though. Having some smaller servers isn’t a bad thing because it gives people options to play in a less sweaty environment. You have people saying “this is what I find enjoyable for this game” and right now they have the option to play that way, but if you force those people into a larger environment the game won’t be as enjoyable for them anymore and a sizable number of them will also quit. Larger servers gain nothing by having the smaller ones merged into them other than having their server peak numbers look better.

Using Midian as an example, we had about 50 active people in the company when we merged. After merger, things were OK for a bit as we were at around 500-600 peak. Then paid transfers happened and a lot of people started coming to Ygg and it got sweaty and farmable resources got more scarce, and then the majority of casual players who were there for pve and crafting started leaving until we were down to about 10-15 active players, mostly just the people that enjoyed PvP content and run the high level muts.

I haven’t complained, but I will say I was nonplussed to learn that two servers are being merged into mine. Primarily because my server seems to be in a sweet spot right now. Resource node competition has dropped significantly, but there are still plenty of PUG expeditions and mutations being posted, OPR pops within 5 minutes, etc.

Really, the only issue I’m seeing right now (on my server) seems to relate to the upcoming orb change. There are fewer M10 pugs getting posted than there were a couple weeks ago. I believe this is due to no one wanting to spend their orbs. Every mutation orb that is saved will become a boss loot roll at the M7 level. This could be very handy for anyone who hasn’t pulled all the loot they want out of, say, Dynasty and Depths. Or even the new expedition, possibly.

As a result, I think people are avoiding burning their mutation orbs. But that issue will go away once the update comes in (though the weekly limit on mutations may replace it).

Was the first thing I did when I joined, when the game came out in September for live release I found the server I wanted. Myself I never wanted to be on a big server have been merged 5 times, was there when cob was merged into cos and the lag fest and new wave of bots that came from cos and over 2k population and massive ques. Since day one that’s been a big no thanks.

Vaya por delante que respeto tu opinión. Pero no debes contar únicamente los que se quejan de falta de merges. La gran mayoría no se ha quejado. Y precisamente la gente que se quejan de falta de merges, ha tenido la opción de pagar un token e irse a un servidor con más población. Pero en lugar de eso, viene aquí y se queja. Y lo peor de todo es que a esos se les escucha… Y los demás qué? Porque no se hace una encuesta o similar. Con el agravante de que hay gente que ha pagado por irse a un servidor con menor población para poder farmear o simplemente porque le apetece estar en un servidor más pequeño. Que van a hacer con esa gente. Les van a devolver el dinero? Pues no creo. Pero como no lo vivimos en nuestra propia carne, nos da igual. Y repito lo dicho al principio. Respeto tu opinión.

1 Like

well good for you, ur smart.

Ok, so you did not play for 6 months and come to complain. Gettautahere

Strong communities is what helps player retention and player investment in a game. Not merging so toxic PvPers can ruin another server, squat on settlements to run them into the ground while collecting gold for RMT, and drive players away from the game, before they run off to screw over another server.
Instanced PvP can be cross-server, no need for merges.

AGS should just delete the player-controlled settlement model. Then there would be no need for server merges, or even server size limits.

Better PvP by completely separating player influence over Settlements - Game Feedback / Game Feedback - New World Forums

1 Like

Valid complaint

Great opportunity to learn some French :stuck_out_tongue:

But isn’t it the case that anyone who paid for transfers knew of and took that risk when they purchased the token?

It’s not like they told us that there would never be more merges. It would be a nice gesture if people who bought and used a token in last last x amount of time got a free one, but I really don’t think that they should feel obligated to tbh.