New World Crashing my GPU - EVGA 1080 FTW

This issue has been present since ALPHA, BETA, Technical tests, and it’s still present at launch. I’ve posted so many times about being affected by this issue in the old alpha and beta forums, as did countless other people. This is not a new issue, and has been reported many many times, and AGS needs to step up their support on this issue!

I played alpha and betas and didn’t had this problem, wish I knew why I have it now.

I received a reply from the technical team at Amazon Games.

They are asking if my fans are 100% during black screen: Yes
They asked if I’ve tried to underclock my GPU: Also yes.

Underclocking my GPU DOES WORK but it’s not a good solution. That’s BS. I shouldn’t have to do that.
I shouldn’t have to sacrifice running the game like sh** for it to not crash my card.
Can the game not handle clock speeds?
I’ve lowered my core clock + memory clock for 4 days and haven’t crashed.
BUT the game runs significantly worse because I’m also running on lower settings + 60fps cap to help with temps.

Do we know if it’s core clock OR memory clock? Or is it both?

I have been able to play by ONLY reducing the Power Limit in MSI Afterburner to 70%. I left core and memory at default. This may not work for all. You may need to reduce your core and memory as well. And I would still try capping FPS to 30 and then if it seems stable, then cap FPS to 60 and mess with the in-game graphics settings.

The issue seems to be power-related. There is a power spike that happens when I’m in menus or turning in graphic intensive settings, etc. so this seems to resolve the spike being too great where the OS halts the card so it doesn’t fry itself. At least, that’s what it is trying to do and seems for some, it fries their card still. At least this is my assessment after reading this entire thread. For note: I’m using a GTX 1050 Ti

How are you able to change the GPU power limit? Can you show a screenshot of your Afterburner? My Afterburner only shows a power limit option under the fan section

Looks like nothing about fixes for this in the new patch notes released.

No responses from New World Devs and nothing further from community managers?

@Luxendra @TrevzorFTW @Tosch @LolaColaFola @NW_Mugsy

What is going on? Why no official response? New world dev team working on this? Clearly there are massive issues this is happening to more and more people. Take some ownership of the issue and put out recommendations or at least acknowledge the issue.

3 Likes

Here is a link to a reply that has an image. See “Core Voltage” on the bottom left? That’s what you can slide left down to 70%. New World Crashing my GPU - EVGA 1080 FTW - #330 by bdjoe148

Correction, please see the screenshot here which shows where to change Power Limit. Slide it down to 70% and see if that helps. If not, then try reducing Core and Memory Clock as well. New World Crashing my GPU - EVGA 1080 FTW - #397 by Sinoby

We’ve heard from the community that a small number of you have experienced hardware failures while playing New World, specifically with GeForce RTX cards. After a lengthy investigation, we have verified that there is no unusual behavior from New World that causes these issues. We are directing players with affected hardware to contact the manufacturer. EVGA has previously acknowledged manufacturing issues on some GeForce RTX cards. New World is safe to play, and we want to get everyone back in Aeternum.

https://www.golem.de/news/grafikkarten-new-world-zerstoert-jetzt-nicht-nur-die-geforce-rtx-3090-2109-159960.html

There is a german acticle to this topic… its not only EVGA Problem. Can you give me update to that feedback?

1 Like

Good, and what about those like that me, that have the same issue with a non EVGA graphic card? your lengthy investigation failed (probably not, you are just giving a convenient community respose). Let me translate what you said: “The ammount of players with this problem is not enough to affect our wallets”

8 Likes

Thats not true at all. Multiple gpus , multiple brands. All the same crashes and failures. New world is the only thing in common? Lol

Ive lost two seperate cards to this game.
I know people who have also lost cards. Different brands. Same type of crashes acting as a precursor.
There is proof that new world is causing unnecessary power spikes to hardware.

Investigate again.

4 Likes

Here is the screenshot - look at the top available slider that says Power Limit. Do not touch core voltage unless you know what you are doing!

Soooo all the proof of it causing unnecessary power spikes, the only game causing this, and people being required to underclock/undervolt their GPUs is completely false? Made up to paint the devs as demons? Good to know that this is how they’re handling it.

8 Likes

it wasn’t just EVGA RTX cards… something else is causing these crashes.

2 Likes

Okay and what can you say about my card not failing? Why do some fail, and some not?

1 Like

I confirm that after reducing power limit to 60% and frequencies (using precision x1), I was able to play 2 hours @ 60 fps capped (EVGA RTX 2070 XC). In the next days I will test with a 850W PSU (insteed of my actual 650W) and no downclocking. If the problem persists, I’ll try a RMA with EVGA. I’ll share you and AGS the results…

2 Likes

My card is not EVGA - your game - and ONLY your game - resets my graphics card.

4 Likes

I have a GeForce GTX 1070Ti and I’ve literally had no issues with this game. With such a tiny minority of people having this issue, it’s most likely related to badly manufactured cards. This happens all the time in the world of electronics. There’s always a very small percentage fail rate.

1 Like

Got a EVGA 1080 FTW too and zero problems for 72h by now.

I appreciate the fact that you have listed to us and investigated. Just wanted to let you know that it is not only EVGA cards having issues though. I have an ASROCK RX 6700 XT, and my computer has crashed twice while playing new world, with the fans going crazy afterwards

5 Likes