New World Crashing my GPU - EVGA 1080 FTW

I contacted the supplier of my 3090 card and they gave me some stress tests to run.

OCCT is loading the card at 344W with no issues. New World never loads it more than 175W

This isn’t a load/power issue.

I guess we all bought our GPUs on the exact same day, played the exact same games for the same amount of time.

All leading us to this exact moment at the same time having the same issues across different brands and generations.

SMFH you’re the biggest troll.

2 Likes

OK, since you lack reading comprehension, let me explain it in simpler terms.
If your video card is sitting at 50% power consumption - it means it is heavily underutilized, you are leaving performance on the table that can give you higher FPS. This is not normal for a well optimized game.
However, if your GPU draws OVER power limit - it might be a problem for a number of reasons for example GPU power delivery system may not handle it well or cooling system may not be adequate to such load etc.
Obviously, not all video cards are the same, some can tolerate such jumps (if this is truly the cause) better than others, but dismissing whole thread of reports by basically saying “I am fine, my GPU is sitting at 50%, so all is good” is not smart, to say the least

3 Likes

Im also using 1080 , cba to answer why or what, but if u get random crashes 10mins-30mins into the game, try starting steam as administrator and then run the game.

Tried both already to no avail :frowning:

Please ignore the troll so we can stay on topic. His comments are as useless as a glass hammer.

5 Likes

456.71 work fine, no any restart.
Two more solutions that are to have already helped some people:
update motherboard bios
update gpu bios (bios, not a driver)
this is what i tried between OBT and release when i got this problem.
Symptoms that real problem was out of New World:
i got restart in rdr2
i got restart in battlefield1
alls ok in GTA5 (strange, yes)
OCCT 1h full power stresstest was ok, no problem
Furmark 8h gpu stresstest was ok.
In the end, I found an old post from two years ago that the player was getting a computer restart in sims4 because of new drivers. From that moment on, I began to assume that it not was the hardware problem. Yes, the New World burns video cards, but it looks like these are two different problems - a hardware problem and a driver problem.
Also i saw the following solutions:

1. bad power supply (by any reason like low power, or just broken)
  2. dust inside the computer was causing problems
  3. poor cable connection
  4. wrong pin connection of the GPU (as if using 8 instead of 8 + 6)

I’ve spent a few days and it’s pretty damn hard to test, especially when the topic of how the Тew world burns video cards is nearby, and its looks scary. And pc can reboot in 10 minutes, or it may be in two hours.
p.s.: temp was ok all the time.

1 Like

I’m not doing that, i’ll gladly admit that there are fault card out there, there is a fundamental difference between a hardware issue and an issue within the game, NW created their engine with the leftovers from the CryEngine, a nutritiously heavy engine so if you’re going to play on high settings on a old card that’s already been though allot you’re going to expect issues.

Currently I’m sitting at 70 FPS in towns and the temp being around 50 degrees, mind you the settings are set at high with water being set to medium (swapping water from high to medium significantly lowers the temp)

For me new world power utilization on the main screen is 400W which is around 95% for my 3090 model

1 Like

Same, basically the only thing I havent tried at this point is a full PC factory reset but that wouldn’t make sense.

Also I haven’t dabbled with old drivers but it seems it’s hit or miss.
That also leads me to believe there could be different avenues of failure.

If someone lets me know which driver versions worked for them I will try them in a little bit.

Okay thank you, I’ll try that version in a little bit and see what happens.

I tried this in Alpha, Beta, and most recently in Live. No dice, it’s not a Bios issue.

I’ve also ran the unigine superposition benchmark with all settings MAX. Runs at 98% GPU utilisation, the fans run up to 82% and a max gpu temp of 68.

Again this is way in excess of anything that New World does to my card when playing.

This problem occurs ONLY in New World and ONLY when fast traveling, just before the player select screen and just before the Amazon Games logo plays.

Now that AGS have said outright that it isn’t something stupid they are doing, if it turns out it is, then they are 100% liable for all the damage this is causing.

It might be worth retracting the most recent statement and doing some thorough analysis and perhaps, you know, getting Nvidia involved ?

4 Likes

That’s the first troubleshooting step every Amazon Support rep responds to our posts with, going back to Alpha. Unfortunately this step always comes back as steam not finding any files to replace during validation. I wish it was that easy to fix!

1 Like

basically the only thing I havent tried at this point is a full PC factory reset but that wouldn’t make sense.

Tried it… issue persists.

Agreed.

I have a ticket out with the technical team and have been talking to them.

The first thing they are asking me to do is underclock my GPU.
So they’re already trying to give me the run around.

WHICH is working but it’s a terrible solution. I shouldn’t have to underclock my 2018 1080 -402mhz to play the game.
Which in turn makes the game run bad cause I’m not utilizing my GPUs intended power.

I’ll post updates on what they say next.

In a real world scenario, your GPU would likely be drawing less % because you’re using something like vsync or a frame rate cap. That’s exactly the behavior that should be expected in that scenario.

If you are running uncapped, it’s really strange that you’d be at 50%. A game will try to run as high as the utilization ceiling as possible to give you max FPS. What it shouldn’t do is cause ADDITIONAL power draw past 100%, past wattage limits, etc.

2 Likes

What is your FPS outside of a city? Cities are notoriously bad for full GPU load since there are other limiting factors that come into play while in a city, so GPU might be underutilized.

Please note - I am not saying that it is def NW that is root cause of the problem for a GPU damage, GPU powerdraw is not controlled by a game itself directly, there are drivers, GPU BIOS and layers pf APIs that are used for that. And every launch of new demanding game has these type of reports of crashing or PC hardlocks etc. In NW I just noticed an irregularity and reported it What is your FPS outside of a city? Cities are notoriously bad for full GPU load since there are other limiting factors that come into play while in a city, so GPU might be underutilized.

Please note - I am not saying that it is def NW that is root cause of the problem for a GPU damage, GPU powerdraw is not controlled by a game itself directly, there are drivers, GPU BIOS and layers pf APIs that are used for that. And every launch of new demanding game has these type of reports of crashing or PC hardlocks etc. In NW I just noticed an irregularity and reported it New World Crashing my GPU - EVGA 1080 FTW - #374 by Sinoby

Do you have any performance limiters enabled like VSync, FPS cap via either game or external software, are you running game in e.g. 1080p with low-ish settings? Low GPU utilization is an issue, obviously not as sever as burnt GPUs, but its is weird and shouldn’t be happening.

So I’ve started and stopped the benchmarker repeatedly. Can hear the PSU squeal constantly as its running. Always works fine.

Run New World, which is FPS limited, running in a window at minimal size and BOOM just before the Amazon Games Logo.

No one can convince me that this is purely down to a faulty card, and, whats worse, I’m not going to be able to convince my supplier either.

The facts don’t add up to a faulty card.

Dozens of games, some that REALLY stress the GPU, all work fine in FULL details at 5120x1440… (I run all my other games at MAX settings, some at 240hz HDR)
Stress tests - designed to squeeze every last drop out of the card - no problems.

This game, kills the graphics card at innocuous times when there isn’t even anything going on on screen, when running in low rez, frame rate limited, and GPU power set to 50%

1 Like