Remove gold income from town ownership

That would be a nice addition, as is the payouts are pitiful.

Brought this up after the first few weeks. They do not care. Devs are doing their own thing.

1 Like

Just replace gold with a company only currency, allow to convert gold into that currency but not viceversa. That can only be used to pay town expenses and upgrades, not in the market. Then start introducing actually interesting upgrades for the fort and open world sieges.

1 Like

Every single one of these “solutions” that says a different version of “Make them pay for the towns stations with some funny money and get nothing useful from owning it” is a nonstarter.

You don’t understand the effort it takes to win a town and hold it if you’re expecting them to also now upgrade and defend that town on their own dime. Just running influence on a territory is a giant chore, to get a chance at a declare.

There needs to be a tangible return on the amount of time and currency invested in attacking, winning and holding a town, and having a flag over it is not that. Bragging rights dont pay for declare costs or hundreds of gold in consumables per participant. They dont help you gear up your war team.

Why would anyone spend their time carefully planning wars, gathering up players, kitting them out in same cases and also managing the town stations and buffs, for nothing but a cost to themselves?

2 Likes

The 15,000 declare cost is nothing. As an individual I can make that in a day without much effort.

Upkeep on a town at full does not even require what is made by most towns in a day. In one of the big three it can be what is made in a couple of hours.

That leaves the owning companies with at times millions of gold. It gives a few players most of the currency in the game.

The town upkeep should pay out of those funds. It would then be the company that owns the town paying for upkeep. If they want the gold they can run the quests. If they want to pay random people to do it they can.

2 Likes

No it doesn’t. In SWTOR, guilds go crazy trying to win Planetary Conquerer titles every week. Just an achievement title is more than enough.

Maybe you are doing it wrong? Shell Companies Continue To Hurt Territory Warfare - General Discussion / General Discussion - New World Forums

The settlement model controlled by players has been ruining servers since launch and is overdue to be deleted.
Anything wholly under the control of players is quickly exploited and ruined. Just look at PvP in every single MMO game – players basically control who gets a participation reward so there’s win trading and loss farming everywhere for example.

Better PvP by completely separating player influence over Settlements - Game Feedback / Game Feedback - New World Forums

3 Likes

You just make it so taxes are half if they don’t control their own fort

The fact that people exploit things to avoid having to deal with split defenses does not change the annoyingness of running pvp missions in most territories to just get a chance to get a declare.

On an active server with pvp companies, it takes mobs of players running influence missions (and not magically making 15k gold with their time) multiple days a week, to even get a high chance of getting a single attacking war declare each week. That’s if they don’t contest your influence push. If they do it tends to take an entire faction spending their time to beat the rest back and run those influence missions.

Time is money. Nobody is going to do that for free or get mobs of players to do it for free, just so they can then get the additional unpaying job of managing territories for everyone else, and nothing to show for their efforts.

then remove the managing territories parts.

give them an allowance for owning the territory.

its still income. you can do fun stuff with it as a company.

its not multiple mil a week. so cant be abused on the TP or with Gold sellers if that even happens.

town upgrades can be automated based on the area use. or some other system that doesn’t involve people besides maybe winning invasions to make that relevant.

if you want incentives for doing a war then make it a up front cash prize for winning an attack. make it a % of the weeks city income. defenders also get a payout if they successfully hold it.

if its split up between people than an unscrupulous company owner cant abuse that gold directly without setting off red flags.

2 Likes

Why does gold income from town ownership need to happen anyways? I just don’t get it. If I was a company leader and owned numerous towns and is making a fortune, I would sell that gold for real income LOL. In addition, the company can use that gold to just clean out the materials in the auction house. There is so much power in having that much income in game, esp with the gold cap, once you reach that cap, you are forced to spend that gold or sell it online.

3 Likes

something something ags is obsessed with the free market or something.

These words came from my heart. :smiley:

are you guys aware that changing it now is only gonna benefit the companies who are already rich lol

It’s amazing how people still believe a company making $2m a week is rich. Most companies distribute the gold between their main roster. If a company makes $2m a week that averages roughly $40k per player per week not calculating in upkeep cost. With the price of BIS gear going over $250k - gold cap, it would take months of holding that territory to even fully gear 10 players.

You act like most companies actually share that income with all their members. Not even close to reality at most only 5-10 players benefit from that income.

6 Likes

not really much of an excuse

great they have a surplus of gold.

it should slowly drain out as they do stuff with it.

1 Like

The ones that own EF, WW, and Brightwood do. I can’t think of a company who wouldn’t buy gear for their main roster, and I personally would leave my company if it wasn’t disturbed equally. It’s hard to share with everyone since it’s not as much money as everyone claims it to be. When the game initially released, $2m was a lot, but now it’s chump change.

Run a few Laz, Gen and Tempest and you’ll be loaded from the gear you get.

Agree.

So make the ‘funny money’ apply to those as well.

For the same reason people buy a video game using real money that has nothing but digital rewards and virtual bragging rights.

2 Likes

Dont judge people for how they enjoy things. You don’t know what their life is like.

I like the topic, I would love to see towns reworked. I just dont know how much buy in people will have with such a drastic change all at once.