The new meta? Lag exploit destroying the game

It’s not just the lag, it’s the combination of when and how they trigger it at to win. They have to be in the right spot using the right strategy and then kick it off and there’s nothing you can do. There’s no fight, everyone is just frozen while the server ticks credit for one side but not the other. You’ll appear on the point and then randomly you’re 10 yards off the point when your client finally updates, usually once you die. It’s not just stacking aoes it’s stacking 20+ aoes at the same time and they have to be on a group of people so each aoe is ticking 10 players and while only 1 does damage the other 19 aoes are overrunning the server with packets and it can’t keep up.

They found a way to ddos the server on demand…the wars last 8-10 minutes it’s broken af.

3 Likes

Dude, influencers are as much to blame as dentists are for cavities. If influencers are a problem, then it’s all the hypebeasts that buy into it who are at fault. Remember Cyberpunk 2077? Everyone was losing their shit, all over Keanu Reeves walking back and forth on a stage saying “Cyber Punk Twenny Sevenny Seven!” And for what? We had no teaser of what the game was then; we had no inference that its gameplay would be unique or a benchmark; we had no ideas about the story and whether it would just be a shallow knockoff of Shadowrun or its own intricate story.

But everyone bought right into it. Fucking why? Why? Have they no dignity–no love for themselves anymore? Buying into the guy who played Ted “Theodore” Logan alongside Alex Winter’s Bill S. Preston, repeating the name of the game over and over? And look at it… it came out, it was a mess, it broke a thousand and one promises, and it delivered ‘a game experience.’ It was ‘great,’ ‘good,’ whatever-- and I still hear and see more about Fallout: New Vegas, which came out like a fuckassed full decade prior.

People just want to be hype. They don’t need a thing to be hype for, they’re like simps but for consumption-- it doesn’t matter what, it doesn’t even matter if they’re getting what they ask for. They just need the sensation of simping and receiving that ‘aww, you’re so sweet!’-- they need the sensation of hype and receiving that ‘this is SO cool! did you see that?’

The real problem is not the people smart enough to ply a market for easy money so they never have to worry about a dental bill again; it’s the people who eat this shit up so constantly. How am I to blame AAA devs for never goddam trying and releasing the same dumb shit over and over again when people are clearly eating it up like their last meal?

2 Likes

are we back to day 1 war? ‘’ spam ice storm, lag them out!’’ tactics?

nice! we’ve come full circle.

coming up next : hatchet invulnerability!

5 Likes

Well, we’re back to ice storm dmg stacking if you have varying weapon levels cast it, as well as if someone has the corresponding armor perk or not for it. That meta went away when dmg couldnt stack anymore, now it can. Oh, and bonus, the dmg perk is bugged and can be applied to all weapons, so bonus.

When the hatchet exploit was around, the bug was at least tied to a weapon no one used in wars. All of the current bugs we experience are tied to ice gauntlet (and VG’s scream if you’re talking about movement bug), which is the meta weapon everyone is stacking anyway, so combat just feels gross. Roots breaking on dmg like a stun would probably be the best solution, even if far from optimal.

2 Likes

i’m honestly having a hard time keeping up with all the bugs and meta-changing bugs.

1 Like

You’re not alone. In most cases you’d expect them to be fixed before a wide swath changes over to capitalize on said bugs, but it doesn’t look like we’re getting fixes any time soon for these so the meta is bug chasing on top of the root spam.

2 Likes

Still a viable strategy since a month out of launch. For some reason on launch week, everything seemed good as far as I know. Not sure what happened. In January, after xmas break for me, things seem to be more unstable and I’m not sure if it’s my internet connection, if AGS downgraded the backend, or if they broke something amongst their packet crunching. I’m rubberbanding 2-7 seconds out during a 4-5 party chest run. Myrkgard hounds would be dumping grit attacks non-stop back to back and most of the time I wouldn’t know how I died.

A solution I’d recommend is to introduce some network analysis tools to help us determine if it’s the backend or if it’s our internet connection that’s the issue. Maybe the ISP’s are capping the bandwidth, widespread cyber attacks, or AGS’s backend is falling apart, etc.?

2 Likes

This isn’t intentional, it’s just spaghetti code on last point + fort that can’t handle 100 people at same time.

One more reminded that wars between competitive companies are unplayable.

I’d like to add… (repeatedly) mass reporting callers/leaders before wars also seems to be well alive and kicking. This gives me a bad taste for NW more than the lag strategy in wars.

Hey you must of really liked Crucible or Anthem, huh?

This is definitely not new. It’s the same issue we had before thanksgiving, and it is quite well known that companies intentionally lagged out wars to become invincible on point.

There was a bandaid patch then to deal with it which lasted for maybe 2 weeks, but it came off when they pushed out the VG patch.

It is the exact same problem as before and the change to aoe damage stacking doesnt fix it at all.
Nobody would even use IG otherwise, but come war time they’d magically have 10 of them dump ice storms on the same point at once and everyone immediately went into slideshow mode and their tanks became effectively invulnerable as long as they held block and stood in heals.

Now that they have figured out how to use the IG to consistently reproduce the permanent root/slow movement bug, they are doing that AND lagging the points.

Just like all those “poor hatchet users who didnt realize they were doing 4x more damage” due to an obvious exploit that they triggered at will, nobody will get banned for this and plenty of people will stop wanting to have anything to do with Wars and territory control.

Sadly thats most of the endgame content. Without it, there are grinds and more grinds so you can expect to watch those people quit pretty quickly.

3 Likes

Yep, some companies on my server know how to lag the servers out too. We were at war and took the first point fairly. As soon as this happened they pulled out their ice gauntlets and lagged the war so we couldnt take another point. There are also players that know how to trigger the speed bug and exploit that in wars. always the same players with it. I guess these are intended features?

1 Like

And this was suppose to be the main end game content … ( official release )

Revive move to X spot and look at one picture (movement/actions not existent)

2 Likes

People who will abuse this kind of mechanic constantly will always be looking for new exploits and searching these forums/reddit/youtube for any similar advantage they can gain without considering sportsmanship or fair play at all. Gaming the system in order to take the path of least resistance it seems will never end in video games. Hopefully measures can be put in place to curb this activity and other game breaking glitch abuse. I’m not going to pretend to have a solution but I know quite a few people who left this game from frustration with the bugs and mechanics. I stick around because I like the game and see its potential. This game is still going through a lot of change/balance/fixes and it’s getting better but we aren’t at the point where this game is really stable enough yet.

Just an FYI for anybody watching this video/reading the thread getting the wrong idea.

The people in that video aren’t level 60. That video came out first week or 2 of the game.

Pretty misleading Browneye, prove it or fuck off?

1 Like

NT

1 Like

This is a re-run of ice gauntlet lag that showed up at launch.
AGS even admitted that the exploit was widely used.
And yes, they acknowledged it to be an exploit in Update 1.0.4.
Yet there were no bans.

Really don’t know why players don’t consider PvP to be a total farce and waste of time and keep trying to save it. AGS obviously doesn’t care about banning cheaters and exploiters.
They claimed to have fixed the exploit in 1.0.4. but here we are weeks later.

@Luxendra @Lane @Zin_Ramu How about an actual fix when you fix something? How about banning exploiters?
Better yet, use the sure-fire fix of deleting PvP entirely. It was a farce at launch and still is.
The exploiters and cheaters you didn’t handle continue to ruin PvP and the game as a whole. Then they cry for incentives like the Luck Bonus you gave out for being PvP flagged when they are systematically destroying PvP themselves.

That clip was from 3 months ago, you should post a more recent clip as your example just saying.

That’s been happening since beta. Nothing new. maybe a new weapon / ability being used to cause it but nothing new.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.