[WARNING]Game Crash - Black Screen - Bricked GPU!

UPDATE #2 After receiving a replacement GPU from EVGA - and having it fail as well - I received a revision 1.0 (the original one was the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra rev 0.1), also known as ‘black lips’ and have had no issues.

I can see that using GPU-Z that the power management on the card is actually doing what it should - limiting the performance where required and the power draw would exceed spec.

So bottom line as far as I’m concerned is that this issue is cause by defective or badly designed hardware. Although I also think that NW seems to be fairly inefficient and causing GPUs to hit their limits (and where the card is faulty or not designed well those limits break).

UPDATE #1 I received my replacement GPU today (via EVGA RMA process). After installing it and using my computer for work all day I decided to load up New World. I got to the circle compass loading screen, saw some spikes in GPU-Z (I wanted to monitor what was happening) and GPU failed. I didn’t even get to the Amazon Games splash screen. Everything works great with the GTX1060 Aero that I’ve had to use for the last month or so.

Looks like another RMA.

WARNING!!! After two back screen crashes I tried to restart the game and my PC immediately rebooted. When it came back there was no video and the motherboard indicated a VGA failure. The centre power connecter on the GPU had a red light. The GPU has completely failed (bricked).

I will be contacting EVGA seeking an RMA. However be aware that the issues with having your GPU bricked by this game still exist!

Update: I would like to add that I tried all of the suggested ‘fixes’ (underclocking, framerate limiting, running in window mode… etc). While some of these were effective in that they extended the time I could play without a crash, ultimately, none of them worked in the long term. And in the end, I am sending my GPU back to EVGA. I will also add that the GPU was a revision 1 (purchased in November 2020).

• What is your character name in New World: Thraim
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: Hsuan
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: Screen goes black, GPU fans go 100%. Have to hard reset PC.
  • Is this a bug or an exploit: Bug
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: Can’t play game.
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: No. Had to hard reset PC. Now stuck in queue (that doesn’t seem to move). However this issue occurred in beta.
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: Seemed to happen just randomly running (although in beta there didn’t seem to be a trigger for the same issue.

In beta, updating GPU drivers appeared to fix this. I am currently running GeForce drivers version 472.12 with an EVGA RTX 3090 FTW.

13 Likes

Mines doing the same thing

3 Likes
  • What is your character name in New World: SenileSarge
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: Tritonis / US East
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: Screen goes black, GPU fans go 100%. Have to hard reset PC.
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: No. Had to hard reset PC. After going back into the game, checked settings (ensured capped FPS 60, Visuals at Low) and once clicked Continue to start que, computer crashed again.
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: This also happened in the beta, so stopped playing. Did not attempt to relog. Ensured NVIDIA drivers were updated, but waited for game to come out. Had hard reset three times.

I am currently running GeForce drivers version 472.12 with an EVGA RTX 3090 FTW.

1 Like
  • What is your character name in New World: Clonan
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: Login screen… also Runeberg, EU
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: Screen goes black, GPU fans go 100%. Have to hard reset PC. Only thing that helps is to underclock the GPU. Tried reinstalling the latest graphics drivers and resetting all settings etc. This is with a Gigabyte RTX 3090 Aorus Xtreme.
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: No. Had to hard reset PC.
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: Launch the game with a Gigabyte RTX 3090 Aorus Xtreme… without having it underclocked.
1 Like

Same here with EVGA GTX 1080…
Black screen triggers randomly , fans going 100% but can still hear audio

Did underclocked stop it from crashing? Hate to do that, but if it worked, interested to try that.

Yes it did. With my 3090 Aorus Xtreme (boosts to 1860) I had luck setting a fixed clock all the way up to 1700. When I tried 1750 it crashed within 15 minutes. I guess you’ll have to experiment with what works for you. But I’d cap it at like 1600 for safe measures for now - not fun to sit in queue again. The game still runs fine with it - the biggest issue with FPS right now is nothing another 100-200Mhz will improve sadly. You’ll have 35-45fps in cities no matter what…

And no, you don’t need to cap the game at 60fps when you do this.

2 Likes

Appreciate you. Let me try this out and see how things go.

Adding support to wwraver’s fixed clock solution. Ryzen 5800X, 3090 Aorus Xtreme Waterforce WB (which is actually just a waterblocked Aorus Master) on driver version 471.12, using MSI Afterburner to control the GPU clocks and power.

I’m getting what sounds like the same crash as above on the game’s initial load with 100% reliability thus far (namely, all monitors lose signal, the ‘device disconnected’ sound plays eventually and a hard reset required to clear the problem, with Reliability Monitor showing multiple failures of dwm.exe) at a power limit of 90% and a fixed clock of 1850MHz. Loads as far as the server selection screen when fixed at 1605MHz. Can’t get any further at the moment because…well, servers. I’ll start nudging the clock up and see where it starts to wobble.

Which is a rather unimpressive showing by Amazon’s engine, considering that everything else - including Star-I-make-systems-cry-Citizen - is perfectly happy at 1850…

Edit: Marginally unstable at ~1680 MHz (ie, 3090 reference). Got about 10 minutes into the newbie area and gathering wood to make the skinning knife when it crashed without warning (same symptoms). Returning to 1600 MHz.

Further further update: Appears stable at 1600 MHz after a couple of hours of gameplay.

• What is your character name in New World: Ossicle
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: Ruach
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: Computer crashes, black screen/display completely cuts out. (only game/process this happens on, and i put this system through more strenuous tasks all the time)
  • (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: Completely unplayable, kicks me off the system requiring a restart, and then waiting in queue again
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: No, restart computer, re-enter queue, (experienced this same exact bug in beta, was also coincidentally the first and last time i had this issue with my system)
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:
    Seems to be completely random, it will sometimes happen within the same hour, other times it will happen after 8 hours in game. This was happening in the beta so i stopped playing the beta, hoping that the issue would be resolved for launch. (happened twice on launch day/today)

Drivers are 472.12 with an EVGA XC Ultra 2070super (stock) - have already ran DDU and did a fresh install of drivers today - everything is up to date on the system

UPDATE - it was either me disabling xbox game bar or underclocking my card -150 in precision x1 that let me game tonight without having a single crash, hope this helps someone <3

I can confirm what @wwraver and @Yuzral said.

I underclocked my GPU and it seems stable. No crashing to black (no wdm.exe crash). I also notice that the fan spikes have gone. I was getting periodic spikes where the GPU fan would go to 100% for several seconds. That seems to have calmed down.

Spoke too soon… It ran for 4 hours this time, but still crashed to back. Although this time I can’t find reference to wdm.exe in the event logs.

It’s pretty disappointing. This has been an issue since beta for many people but there has been no response from dev or even acknowledgement that it is a problem.

I guess all we can do is keep posting and hope for a fix.

1 Like

Same issue here, game freezes and my monitor loses display and restarts.
Underclocked my card and turned game settings to lowest including a lower resolution.
Can play the game for roughly 3 hours before freezing and having to sit in the queue again.

Asus TUF OC 3080

Having this exact same issue with a GTX 960 + i5-2400; heard some where that a fix could be to play on windowed mode exclusively, has anyone tried this?

I was just going along with the bug and restarting but last time it happened I had to restart my pc 5 times till it recognized my GPU again and now Im kinda scared to force the bar.

1 Like
  • What is your character name in New World: Akkrum
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: Tritonis
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: No. Had to hard reset PC. Now stuck in queue (that doesn’t seem to move).
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: Seemed to happen just randomly running.
2 Likes
  • What is your character name in New World: Bazylius
  • What server/world did you experience your issue on: Abaton
  • Describe the issue you are experiencing: Screen goes black (three times today). Two of the times it was while using UI stuff like Market or Storage windows. The sound is still there, the screen is black and in WIndows Task Manager I see New World Crash Reporter process under New World, however no crash windows appears. Yesterday I had game opened for 16+ hours and there were no crashes - I have exactly the same graphics etc. configuration as yesterday.
  • (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: No. Had to kill the game process and relaunch it - which results in landing in 3k+ players queue.
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: Seemed to happen just randomly running, playing on Very High, NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super Gaming Trio, 2560x1080 resolution
1 Like

Managed to somewhat avoid the issue by running the game in windowed mode, been about 12 hours with no problems so far. Hopefully this helps anyone else getting this bug for the time being.

I have the same issue with a 3090 Aorus Extreme… every few hours screen goes black as if it was disconnected and I need to reboot the pc. Only happens with this game.

Just to add to this and keep the thread alive…I have the same problem with a Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC - same symptoms so I don’t need to repeat them :slight_smile:

If i can get on the servers tonight i’ll try running Windowed mode, with boost capped at 1680, power at 90% and see if I can play for a couple of hours.

It’s a bit of a joke, especially considering Amazon keep blaming the GPU companies and are not taking any responsibility for what is clearly a bug in their game/game engine…

1 Like

To add to this thread GTX 1080 also getting the black screen mentioned running on high settings. Never had any problems on any other games???