UPDATE #2 After receiving a replacement GPU from EVGA - and having it fail as well - I received a revision 1.0 (the original one was the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra rev 0.1), also known as ‘black lips’ and have had no issues.
I can see that using GPU-Z that the power management on the card is actually doing what it should - limiting the performance where required and the power draw would exceed spec.
So bottom line as far as I’m concerned is that this issue is cause by defective or badly designed hardware. Although I also think that NW seems to be fairly inefficient and causing GPUs to hit their limits (and where the card is faulty or not designed well those limits break).
UPDATE #1 I received my replacement GPU today (via EVGA RMA process). After installing it and using my computer for work all day I decided to load up New World. I got to the circle compass loading screen, saw some spikes in GPU-Z (I wanted to monitor what was happening) and GPU failed. I didn’t even get to the Amazon Games splash screen. Everything works great with the GTX1060 Aero that I’ve had to use for the last month or so.
Looks like another RMA.
WARNING!!! After two back screen crashes I tried to restart the game and my PC immediately rebooted. When it came back there was no video and the motherboard indicated a VGA failure. The centre power connecter on the GPU had a red light. The GPU has completely failed (bricked).
I will be contacting EVGA seeking an RMA. However be aware that the issues with having your GPU bricked by this game still exist!
Update: I would like to add that I tried all of the suggested ‘fixes’ (underclocking, framerate limiting, running in window mode… etc). While some of these were effective in that they extended the time I could play without a crash, ultimately, none of them worked in the long term. And in the end, I am sending my GPU back to EVGA. I will also add that the GPU was a revision 1 (purchased in November 2020).
- What is your character name in New World: Thraim
- What server/world did you experience your issue on: Hsuan
- Describe the issue you are experiencing: Screen goes black, GPU fans go 100%. Have to hard reset PC.
- Is this a bug or an exploit: Bug
- (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: Can’t play game.
- (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: No. Had to hard reset PC. Now stuck in queue (that doesn’t seem to move). However this issue occurred in beta.
- What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced: Seemed to happen just randomly running (although in beta there didn’t seem to be a trigger for the same issue.
In beta, updating GPU drivers appeared to fix this. I am currently running GeForce drivers version 472.12 with an EVGA RTX 3090 FTW.