- What is your character name in New World: EdgeJr
- What server/world did you experience your issue on: Abaton
- Describe the issue you are experiencing: inconsistent input queueing, prioritization, cancellation
- Is this a bug? bug / defect on design level
- (if a bug) How did the issue effect your gameplay: making the combat clunky, unreliable, causing frustration, desire to stop playing again until this is fixed
- (if a bug) Were you able to recover from the issue: this is not blocking me from playing but there’s no sufficient workaround to avoid having to deal with this
- (if a bug) Please include a screenshot or video of the issue that you have experienced: New World - input queueing and prioritization - weapon swap issues - YouTube
- What are the steps to reproduce the issue as you experienced:
- Huge delay of weapon swap can be achieved by clicking LMB + LMB + 2 at the beginning of the queue windows. Longest delay can be over 1.8 seconds between weapon swap input “2” and finally swapping the weapon. (shown in video as 1st example)
- Losing the weapon swap input can be achieved by clicking LMB or any skill of currently active weapon within a window between weapon swap input and the moment it’s registered (easiest to do with LMB as it has the most extreme input window). For example LMB + LMB + 2 + LMB (shown in video as 2nd example)
- Not knowing which weapon skill will be used: LMB + 2 + R (assuming R is an instant cast skill) = depending on when “R” is clicked, it will be either used on currently active weapon (thus cancelling the weapon swap) or it will be used on the secondary weapon after swapping to it.
- Not related to weapon swap, but to input issues - pots have much smaller input window and are overwritten by other inputs like LMB. Example: LMB + 4 = pot is not consumed if it can’t be used within around 0.5 seconds. LMB + 4 + LMB = pot input is overwritten by LMB even if pot can be consumed within 0.1 seconds of the input.
- When did this happen? Always.
This is an issue which has been around since launch. I would expect that after such long time the key aspects of the game like combat input consistencies would be delivered, but sadly that’s not the case. I’ve returned to the game after 10 month break just to see the same issues, making it extremely annoying to actually try and enjoy the only entertainment this game is offering.
My suggestions to the dev team:
- Avoid large input windows. Combat is fast, situations change quickly and there’s no game or situation where an input should be registered after almost 2 seconds. Keep these windows around 100-200ms to make sure the player has the maximum amount of control over what actions are taken the moment they are possible.
- Consistency between input windows - there is no reason for LMB, Q/R/F skill and weapon swaps to have such drastically different input windows / input queueing. That only makes the player more confused when trying to perform any action
- Consistency over input prioritization - this part will almost solve itself with fixing point 1. as smaller input windows mean that there’s less prioritization issues AKA less situations where we need to figure out what to do out of multiple inputs. The rest is making a consistent rule like “newest input overwrites the previous one” or "(Dodge) > (Weapon swap to current wep) > (Weapon swap to alternative wep) > (Q/R/F) > (3/4/5/6) > (LMB) > (RMB) > (Spacebar) > (the rest like esc / M / etc)