Whoever balances ranged DPS at AGS needs to be fired

What have you done to mages? I was dueling a bow/rapier player today as firestaff/void-gauntlet. Interesting how the rapier destroys VG in damage, has 2 invulnerabilities, a stun instead of a root, etc…

…but the most hilarious thing was figuring out how to actually attack him from range. Not only does he have real DoTs that do something, staggers, repositions, but the most hilarious thing is doing a regular left-click heavy attack. I’m literally rooted and locked out of jumping or dodging for 1.5s. Meanwhile, he’s shooting attacks while jumping backwards forwards and side to side. He was more mobile than me by a longshot while wearing HEAVY ARMOR to my light armor.

So he can build dex to dodge more than me, has more mobility, takes almost no damage due to attacking while jumping around…and outdamages me too? I don’t think I could have beaten him at range if I did 3x more damage than he did. He was impossible to hit, while I’m basically rooting myself to shoot a heavy attack.

I’ve never seen a stupider patch in my life, and I’m shocked to find no buffs to FS on the PTR notes. Amazon, you’re a fucking disgrace. You meganerfed a class, got shit on from every corner, and didn’t do a thing about it. Bow literally does more AoE damage than mages. It’s hilarious but so damn pathetic.

11 Likes

Bows are/should be superior in 1v1 duels. That is what bows do. Single target damage. Mages are superior in group battles. That is what Mages do. AOE damage.

Still, despite the nerfs, in a pure light/heavy attack 1v1 a mage will defeat a bow due to more mobility while attacking, far superior attack speed, and having a massive projectile - unless of course the bow hits each shot in the head - which is difficult against a more mobile target that is constantly pressuring you by firing roughly 2 attacks per 1 arrow and often hitting due to bow’s near crawling speed while aiming. Not to mention the fire staff light attack animation makes your upper body tilt. Heavy armor is interesting for that reason - you don’t feel as much pressure from the more rapid attacks hitting you.

However, you sacrifice damage due to armor weight as well as the 300 DEX perk with dodging, and your only mobility options are either jumping or using a 15-second-cd 5-meter-jump-back during which your body hangs in the air open to taking fire from ranged attacks if you miss your staggering shot, which is really awkward to hit sometimes, and also our only cc aside from immobile-for-5-seconds rapid shot - only if you hit the last one and haven’t been gap closed/decapitated before it’s gone out.

Rapier is the best melee 1v1 dueling weapon in the game. Not much else to say. You shouldn’t be instigating a melee fight against a rapier with your void gauntlet. It is not interesting that the rapier out damages and out classes void gauntlet as a pure melee weapon because it is a pure melee weapon. A void gauntlet is a hybrid support/ranged/melee weapon.

How is a heavy armor bow player more mobile than a fire staff + void gauntlet wielding mage with dodges? I have no clue. Maybe you need a bit more practice.

10 Likes

Git gud.

2 Likes

What ? Bows are good at AoE.

1 Like

well said

Bows are/should be better at single target damage than mages. Mages ARE better at aoe than bows.

2 Likes

Guess what the GA/WH players will switch to ? GA/VG.
50-100 STR/200 INT/160 CON.

People seem to forget each weapon is better for something that others are not. You are dueling the two best 1v1 weapons in the game (bow and rapier) and are ranting because they are good to what they are meant to be good at?

3 Likes

Dude, all this overpaid Devs should be fired. Ez.

1 Like

So you played someone better than you and lost. What’s your issue?

Have any of you PvP’d in this game lol? Firestaff does no damage AoE or otherwise. The point of the example of the duel was that I was doing less damage with less mobility than a heavy armor bow at range. I’m basically a rooted target to hit for free during a heavy attack while he’s jumping during his attack.

But the point is that there is no compensation for having a slower, lower range attack in any instance of group PvP. My attack still hits one person. The fact that I can use an AoE once in a while that hits multiple people for 800 damage isn’t a fair balance.

If you say that bow is the best dueling weapon, why not mention that it’s also a better weapon in any other aspect of group PvP as well?

Bow can use poison cloud and put a 12% dmg DoT for 20 seconds on anyone who steps into it. Now compare that to mage burning field, that does 10% damage to anyone IN the field, and for 6 seconds, 9 with the skill? That’s hilarious. So walking through the poison cloud for 0.1 seconds does 240% weapon damage, but walking in the field for 0.1 seconds does 10% damage?

Ice storm is also just a field that you can walk by, and it only lasts for 5 seconds. So somehow, you gave the best dueling ranged weapon also the best AoE by far? Have you ever tried landing a Pillar of Fire in PvP? It’s a worthless skill.

IG is almost never seen now on Camelot. VG is seen but mostly on healers. All I see is muskets and bows.

It feels like nobody at AGS actually tests their game in PvP. You can balance PvE with numbers, and distributing useful non-damage abilities. But PvP needs to be balanced with actual testing regarding movement and physics. Somehow these fucking morons managed to give more damage, range, AoE, and mobility to dex users.

By the way, to you goofs assuming this player was “good”, the player I dueled was not better than me at bow. Also the fight was ranged only, which is why I used the example. I would have smoked him with bow. But I want to play mage, so I guess I need to get used to losing. Bow players ITT

1 Like

Mages died weeks ago
You must have missed the patch 1.1 funeral

1 Like

So I actually just picked up a fire staff to gain mastery and try to understand what you’re talking about.

I’m basically a rooted target to hit for free during a heavy attack

You are more mobile than a bow user while heavy attacking. You also are not zoomed in like a bow user, giving you greater situational awareness which is invaluable in PVP. If I’m aiming in with bow, I cannot see AoE abilities at my feet until I release the shot and stop aiming.

But the point is that there is no compensation for having a slower, lower range attack in any instance of group PvP.

Slower? Your heavy attack gets its shots out as fast as bow’s light attack. It refunds mana, reduces cooldowns by 10%, and has a much larger projectile with the same speed as an arrow.

Bow can use poison cloud and put a 12% dmg DoT on anyone who steps into it. Now compare that to mage burning field, that does 10% damage to anyone IN the field, and for 6 seconds, 9 with the skill? That’s hilarious. So walking through the poison cloud for 0.1 seconds does 240% weapon damage, but walking in the field for 0.1 seconds does 10% damage?

These are two different types of abilities with different CDs and different difficulties attached with hitting them.

Poison shot, which is a thin projectile, does not headshot, and does 50% weapon damage on direct hit, leaves a 3m cloud for 6 seconds that applies a debuff dealing 12% DoT (10% without perk that you forgot to mention) for 20s - so 240% weapon damage is dealt over 20 (TWENTY) seconds. It has a base 30 second cooldown.

Fireball is a fat blob that deals 140% weapon damage on direct hit (beats bow), leaves a 3m damaging area of effect (inherently different mechanic than poison shot) for 9 seconds that deals 10% damage (2% less than bow) per second spent in the AoE.
It has a base 14.6 second cooldown (More than half of bow with more CDR options).
Hitting it reduces all your CDs by 7% while also refunding mana.

Fire staves have much more consistent and reliable CDR mechanics than bows and their CDs are shorter. So “the fact that you can use an AoE once in a while” is an exaggeration when compared to bow CDs.

• Oh, and speaking of DoTs, your light attacks apply them
    • Did you know that there is a skill that allows each tick of your DoT to grant 10% fortify?

If you say that bow is the best dueling weapon, why not mention that it’s also a better weapon in any other aspect of group PvP as well?

FS is better than bow in dealing burst AoE damage and applying more consistent DoT.

• I just found out that you can combo Pillar of Fire, Fireball and a light attack (410% direct damage + DoT and ability effects) in the same time as bow can shoot 2 light attacks.

Have you ever tried landing a Pillar of Fire in PvP?

Really? Have you ever tried consistently landing the heavy attack headshots everyone complains about? Pillar of Fire barely has a delay after cast and doesn’t provide a tell of when it is being cast, unless you’re so slow that it makes it obvious. Rain of Arrows has bow users looking at the sky and then deals damage more than a second after casted.

Ice storm is also just a field that you can walk by, and it only lasts for 5 seconds.

Ice storm deals 17% weapon damage every 0.33 seconds for 5 seconds, so 255% over the whole duration. (255% damage over 5 seconds?? That sounds a hell of a lot better than Poison Shot’s 240% over 20 seconds!) You’re right in that you can walk - not run - by it because it slows if you actually use it on top of 1 or more people (this also makes it a lot easier to hit your abilities on those super mobile heavy armor bow users!). You can also root people in Ice storm with heavy attacks.

In other words, get good.

2 Likes

Bow and Rapier are THE two best single target weapons, especially skirmish, in the game. Of course you should lose to it in a one v one duel as fs/vg. Nothing to see here, move along.

1 Like

Sorry, but its not about balance. Its about you.

This post feels good different

You can’t be serious lol

Besides the fact you’re just reading off Fire Staff abilities like you’ve never played one, Pillar of Fire is hands down the easiest ability to avoid in the game.

And no, Fireball absolutely does not out-damage anything a bow does. It’s a low damage ability that simply allows mages to hit at long distance (assuming they can angle it correctly).

What?

When did I write that?

Get good. My light attack is harder to hit than this ability.

1 Like

imagine being so low iq that you think that = if i use bow i should always win cuz its hard to use xd. No. All weapons need a counter, something they are good against and something they are bad against. This is not cs go, its a mmo. It follows mmo rules, so why do people pushing fps agenda?

The one where the mage stands still with an arm raised in the air indicating he’s about to cast a moderately strong spell somewhere in his immediate radius?

You’re not even comparing them properly. You described a fully talented Fireball vs a partially talented Poison Shot. Poison Shot does 150% weapon damage when talented, not 50%.

Getting hit by maxed Poison Shot is guaranteed 240% + 150% damage.

Getting hit by maxed Fireball is guaranteed 140% damage, with the remaining (lower) dmg conditional on someone dumb enough to stand still in one place for 9 seconds.

Sounds like you’re the one that needs to “get good” fella.