I’ll do my best to condense the idea without sending a novel. after typing this up it turned into a novel sorry i added quick notes in there too. send me back your thoughts on this it would be nice to be challenged on the idea from your perspective.
Also, didn’t reread this sorry if there are any typos or parts that don’t make sense.
Factions currently split the server into thirds (in a perfect world) which makes 33% of the people non-attackable since they’re on your own faction.
However, if you think about it the Companies are factions already. so, we have a faction, within a faction. we can remove the redundant Purple, Green, and Yellow because there haven’t been any direct benefits. (don’t know what’s in the pipeline on your end)
Doing this will allow a more common world pvp battle because unless you’re grouping with your own company chances of you finding someone the fight in the open world will significantly go up. I’m sure your data show that some factions are off-balance which would resolve that.
Faction Vendors could be labeled Company Vendors. and should work in the same way. But, having more quests should be applied to scatter people around so you have a chance of bumping into people that are flagged but not doing pvp quests so there’s land saturation of pvp flagged players.
This will also foster collaboration and clashes between every player and company vs not liking someone or a company on the server but they’re in your faction so there isn’t anything you can do about it.
- fort captures and war bids. tough to say how each guild can gain control and claim a war.
- hypothetically, can cause grouping chaos for solo players. might make people get frustrated.
- potential exploits rep/xp farming.
- Removing the redundancy of a faction within a faction
- Opening the door to 33% more world PVP. potentially driving in-game engagement.
- Won’t need to balance factions anymore
- Rework faction vendors to Company Vendors
- Company Vendors provide more quests to saturate the map you’re playing on with flagged pvp players
- Increased Collaboration and new enemies on the social side
I’m not sure what is on the horizon for factions but i don’t think they’re necessary as of now.
you will need to obviously plan how to remove it since doing it all at once would be weird.
these are the steps i would take but I’m not a game developer. i would say this should be done over a 3-month timeline what do you think?
- Add new faction missions work on getting more pvp quests to run
- review data and feedback
- Implement a PVP+ option that would allow you to fight people within the same faction. Calibrate it so you cant fight people in your own company though.
- review data and feedback | identify and eliminate exploits.
- have an in-game release of an event or movie of what’s gone on in the game. (see below for an idea of the narrative)
- Event over remove factions
The narrative idea
There has to be a reason. also, we still dont know who the faction leader is so its kinda silly.
first, i believe we need to have some sort of extended “event” which allows us to follow a quest line and ends with some sort of instanced battle with the faction NPC faction army. This is a larger idea but I hope you understand the concept of what I’m trying to say.
the storyline that would fit the narrative of why factions are removed.
- Tention- unending battle for no reason while the faction gains money off the backs of the players
- Plot - faction missions that require you to work with all factions or going behind the back of your own faction. (Treeson The start of the fall)
- Action - PVP+ pvp on for everyone including your own faction. (Blatantly betraying your faction)
- Plot 2 - Quest Line that will lead to the next part
- Climax - instanced war against your own faction army. Group quest